Removing (cross type) tap handle without removing headgear doesn't get me wet, right?

Very quick question: removing the (cross type) tap handle on a kitchen hot tap, while leaving the headgear untouched, doesn't get me wet, right? I'm wondering whether I can help an elderly friend of mine by changing the skirt piece that covers the top of the headgear in two minutes flat without going up into his loft.
Thanks!
Harry
After serious thinking Harold Davis wrote :

The cross, usually has a screw in from the side, though some have the screw in line with the spindle. The cross might be well seized on, so wood wedges between cover and cross might help, plus a soft mallet.
No need to turn the supply off.
On 29/11/2017 21:49, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

many have the screw under the plug with the H or C logo embossed on it IME.

+1
--
Cheers,

John.
replying to Harold Davis, Iggy wrote: Yep, you'll stay dry and can just replace the skirt and even handle all you want.

check the gland packing nut whilst you have the skirt off. Is it leaking around the spindle?