removal of chimney breast

i wish to remove a chimney breast at my property.

i am a confident good d i yer and understand the method of introducing "gallowes brackets"to support the remaining stack.

the only question i have is as follows.

The building regulations state that there must be a 25 mm section of 3 ; 1 mortar mix between the ramining stack and the 6 mm seel plate in top of the brackets. with this in mind at what level do you temporary support the stack with the steel props. do you bang in the props in the next couse of bricks above.

if any kind person could give me the answer i will be most gretful.

regards

t.morgan London

Reply to
morgflush

i wish to remove a chimney breast at my property.

i am a confident good d i yer and understand the method of introducing "gallowes brackets"to support the remaining stack.

the only question i have is as follows.

The building regulations state that there must be a 25 mm section of 3 ; 1 mortar mix between the ramining stack and the 6 mm seel plate in top of the brackets. with this in mind at what level do you temporary support the stack with the steel props. do you bang in the props in the next couse of bricks above.

if any kind person could give me the answer i will be most gretful.

regards

t.morgan London

Reply to
morgflush

First and formost...

In England and Wales, under the Party Wall etc. Act (1996), the written consent of the owners of a neighbouring house must be received before some projects can begin. Consider taking the advice of a surveyor with experience of this legislation.

Reply to
ben

Why not just fit a few 25mm packing pieces, mortar between them then knock them out and fill the gaps? There's probably a good reason you can't do it like this, but it seems the easiest way to me.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I don't know if this is an urban myth or not, though its supposed genesis is close enough for me to check directly, but apparently someones' neighbours decided to enlarge their room by removing their half of an adjoining wall. presumably without consent and producing, I would imagine, an unhappy state of affair.

Reply to
John Cartmell