Painting Kitchen ceiling

Recently I removed most of the stipple artex from the Kitchen ceiling, I then got a plasterer to come in and skim it to make it smooth.

He done this when I was not in, I came back and once it dried it wasn't as smooth as expected, got him back and he redone it, it was getting dark when he done it previously.

The second time when I presume most of the hard work was already done, he painting on some PVA stuff then skimmed over that a few times, I asked him if I need to put sealer on before I paint it as I can recall being told to do this by another plasterer who did work for me a while back, he said you dont need it and just put on 2 coats of emulsion, can anyone clarify this?

Would it not be better with the sealer, surely wont do any harm?

I have half a tin left in the shed from when I bought it before.

So use the sealer then two coats of Matt Emulsion or just the Emulsion.

Thanks

Reply to
Gogs

[...]

Two coats of emulsion - but thin the first coat by adding about 10% water to it - otherwise it will be difficult to spread on the absorbent plaster.

Reply to
Set Square

In message , Gogs writes

Doesn't really matter which.

If you have the sealer and want to use it then use that. But it isn't really necessary, but just emulsion is fine, it's what I always use.

But you do need to dilute the first coat a fair bit otherwise because of the suction of the plaster it won't adhere properly. I probably dilute about 20%, but it is a bit suck it and see. If I find the plaster is drying the paint out a bit too quick and I can't spread it then I dilute it a bit more.

Reply to
chris French

no need. You can do it either way, but without sealer is better.

Either thin the first coat with 50% water, or much better IME, paint a coat of water on first, wait 5 minutes, then put your first emulsion coat on unthinned.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Looks like were having an auction here - I said thin by 10%, Chris French said 20% - and you're now saying 50%!

Any advance on 50%?

Reply to
Set Square

lol

Reply to
meow2222

Been told the best stuff to buy is the Dulux trade paint, apparently it goes on better?

Seen stuff called Supermatt, says for new plaster first coat should be

1 part water to 3 part paint.

This be the best stuff to use and just go with the reccomendation on the tin?

Thanks

Reply to
Gogs