removing a chimney breast

its 25 years since i last did this . I ve got in mind that you need to tell building control if you are going to do this .

Am i correct ?

Reply to
paul

Probably. I didn't when I got my builder to take one out in a first- floor bedroom, but as the previous owners had taken out the one in the kitchen immediately below it, I was inclined to just act...

Reply to
Mark Bluemel

Probably. When I had a builder remove one from a bedroom many years ago, we didn't bother, but as the previous owners had removed the one from the kitchen below, it seemed a sensible course of action...

Reply to
Mark Bluemel

25 years ago when my neighbour did this, they only wanted to know if you were removing a section of chimney whilst a higher section still remained. If you took it down from the top, they didn't want to know.

No idea if this still applies, and it may vary by area.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think the answer has to be yes: We recently sold my father's house and the sale was nearly sunk by the absence of any documentation from when he took out a chimney breast. Finally, we convinced the buyers that it was done before 1984 when the regs started, so didn't need approval. (This was true, but we didn't want to point out that my father would never have considered asking permission to do whatever he wanted with his own house) I seem to recall that there's also a requirement to do something if it's on a party wall.

Reply to
GMM

I've done several of these in my area ( funnily enough, all in my own road... It's all I seem to have done 'that' locally!)

Look at building control on your councils website. Mine (Hertsmere) had a PDF download specifically for chimney breast removal. If you are leaving the chimney then a gallows bracket will need to be installed and this comes under BCO as it is load bearing. Some councils do not permit the use of Gallows brackets and insist on alternative methods of support as they prevent your neighbour doing same to his chimney breast at a later date on adjacent side of party wall, where the stack is 'shared'

If still in doubt give the BCO a call, they're there to help and seem to appreciate those who call first rather than just acting. While a formal PWA is not always required, a letter and chat with your neighbour to avoid pictures and treasured ornaments being flung from Walls and mantlepieces is also advisable.

Enjoy... D

Reply to
Dean Heighington