Removing chimney breast

I live in a 2 storey end of terrace victorian house which was once a corner shop. In the downstairs front room where the shop area was, rather than a chimney breast there are two brick piers about 60 cm apart , each one about 35 cm wide protruding from the wall about 12 cm they were in bad shape(crumbley old mortar)- not structural (any more) during the conversion I tidied them up and re-plastered. A vertical crack has appeared on the left hand pier. Directly above this ,upstairs, is a proper chimney breast 34 cm deep also with a verical crack on left, a good 4mm at the top, and some other cracks above it. The roof design is a London pitch (with a central valley box gutter running along the middle of the house), the chimney breast tapers into the party wall at the top about a 30 cm before the underside of the ceiling. There is a chimney stack above sitting directly on the party wall serving my house and next doors. Logic tells me that the explanation for the cracks is that the upstairs breast is poorly supported so I want to rermove it, as the stack above sits on the party wall and the breast is not directly supporting it can I remove the breast without touching the stack? Any advice on this would be great.

Reply to
rtwood

What you can do, and what you are allowed to do could be different.

I suggest that you go and have a chat with the local Building Control Office. They will almost certainly have to certificate the finished work so you might save some time and effort involving them at the start

tim#

Reply to
tim (back at home)

oops!

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Get profesional help before you touch anything else, by this I mean engineer, not builder with hammer.

Rick

Reply to
Rick