Reminderfox

I used to use Reminderfox with Firefox, to remind me of anniversaries, appointments etc. Then it became incompatible with FF (or rather, the other way around), but was still useable with T'bird. But now I see it's suddenly become incompatible with T'bird, and all my dates have disappeared! Disaster! My life is about to descend into chaos!

I see on the 'net that one suggestion is to import the reminderfox.ics file into Lightning, the T'bird calendar. I've located the .ics file, but how do I import it into Lightening? If that doesn't work, are there any other suggestions?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If you don't already have a suitable calendar in TB (e.g. you might want separate home and work ones) then create a new one (File, New, Calendar, store it locally unless you have access to a server that supports caldav)

Then select that calendar in the tab, and use events and tasks, import and point it to your .ics file.

Reply to
Andy Burns

MS Outlook imports .ics :)

Reply to
Robin

OK, I've found how to do it and it seems to work. All I have to do now is get used to the format!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

No idea. But for some time I have relied on Google Calendar to manage this sort of thing, it has the advantage that it can be shared with the wife or whatever, and I'd guess it is going to be pretty future proof. I can recognise how useful it could have been when my mother descended into Alzheimer's two decades ago, and I am fully prepared to have my children use it for me should the need arise.

Reply to
newshound

It's too late for you now, but I stopped updating TB at 52.9.1 (as you can see from the header). I dumped FF for Pale Moon when It became clear that Mozilla were moving to web extensions and not supporting XUL add-ons. TB has gone the same way. Fortunately, with Linux Mint (which is my OS), it is easy to stop anything updating that you don't want to.

As you are on usenet, it might be worth you subscribing to the FF and TB support groups on the news.mozilla.org news server. That way you will be warned of changes which will have a major effect on your add-ons.

Of course, you could uninstall TB 60.4.0, reinstall 52.9.1, and stop that updating. And you could use Pale Moon instead of FF (AFAIAA Reminderfox works with Pale Moon). The decision is yours.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Pale Moon: I'll investigate. What concerns me a bit is if both FF and TB have now made Reminderfox incompatible, how long before Lightning goes as well. I have Comodo Icedragon on my computer, but only use it for accessing one of my utility account, as FF won't display their web site properly and Comodo has many similarities to FF. I must see if Comodo supports Reminderfox.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Lightning is treated as part of Thunderbird, it just happens to be an add-on, but it's almost an internal part of TB, I don't think the de-XULification will kill it off.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Try Waterfox instead of Firefox,

R D S

Unless you have an IT department willing to keep it going, I would swerve Outlook.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Why? 2 of us here have been using various generations of Outlook, on at least 4 machines at a time, since 1997 without an IT department and without bother.

FTAOD I have also had no problem at home with Exchange Server/SharePoint Server. I don't mess with them and they don't mess with me.

Reply to
Robin