Releasing a security door over the internet

Does anyone know of a device that can release a security door over the internet?

We have a security door with a simple button to release the magnetic lock. We want someone elsewhere in the building to be able to release the door using their desktop computer over the internet/intranet.

It seems so simple. Click a button on your screen and a box connected to our network releases the door. Why can't I find one somewhere, or a simple way of making something that will do the job. I've been looking now for over a year and approached many security door sales people but no luck. We still have to go down stairs to release the door for visitors.

We could run a simple cable but there are problems in doing that, mainly because we want the visitor to be able to contact us by mobile phone and we can release the door from any location in the building.

Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

I've got an IP camera that has an internal relay that can be operated remotely - not that I have ever had occasion to use the facility. You could log into the camera, release the door and watch who comes in!

I got it from

Peter Andrews

Peter Parry

You could use this:

pcb1962

Do you have a telephone system at this place, because a lot of them can do this over the internal telephone system. - This does depend where the telephone system main box is, of course - but may be a road you have not looked at yet!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

I've been using a gsm gate opener for 6 months now, it has its failings but works for the 50 or so people that need to open our gate, that was GBP120 off the shelf but, though I haven't deployed it yet, I think the Linksys and Maplin relay is more secure, trouble is unless I get some programing done it is only configurable for a score of users.

It does require dialing a number rather than clicking on a link but Skype can do that.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

SNIP>>

No internal telephone system, that would have made our life easier! Thanks.

Reply to
Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

A very interesting alternative solution - I'm going to look into this.

Thanks Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

SNIP

to control lights etc but fail to say which camera has the socket. I've sent them an e-mail.

Reply to
Mark BR

Feel free to contact me offlist to avoid my being accused of defaming a company for their appalling customer relations, not to mention a security glitch.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Suspect I am OK as I am going to buy and install in Thailand - now I have a pointer to GSM gate openers I have already found a supplier in Malaysia and suspect I can get one in Chiang Mai.

Save you upsetting anyone?

Thanks

Reply to
Mark BR

I'm fairly sure I saw something that would do this on The Gadget Show in the last few weeks. Past episodes are at