Rejuvinating faded colour photos

Considering it's free, there is an impressive amount of tutorials online for The Gimp. Without them, it's a very steep curve

Reply to
stuart noble

Its pretty steep WITH them

"Probably the Worst User Interface In the World".

I still cant work out reliably how to set eraser shape size and color and the clone tool is..weird.

I use it an Corel Photopaint because each one makes somethi8ng fiendishly difficu7lt that the other does with relative ease.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

thats a silly thing to say, because a DSLR doesnt havbe a 'dpi' associated with it. Since a close up lenms will multiply the effective DPI.

How much did you pay for a 9600dpi scanner and how long does it take?

you can get a 20Mpx 'scan' in 1/60th of a second ;=)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As someone who doesn't know much about PhotoShop or Gimp I find both equally confusing. Many of the complaints about Gimp come from people familiar with Photoshop I think.

Reply to
cl

We used to soak small pieces of crepe paper in water and then squeeze out the dye. This was excellent for touching up b&w photos

Reply to
fred

En el artículo , Broadback escribió:

Wild thought - copy it on a colour photocopier and turn the colour 'saturation' control up. Might just work. If it does, copy it onto photo paper.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Provided that you are prepared to stitch together several images to make one 6x4 postcard. I prefer to fit the subject in a single frame. YMMV

The scanner was about £130 new (same scanner available today £100 secondhand) though today new 9600dpi kit has become more expensive and

4800dpi is the new norm at about £65 and more than good enough. 9600dpi is only worthwhile if you will be scanning film.
Reply to
Martin Brown

I see no mention of 'how long it takes'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have the final version of Photoimpact before Corel dumped it. That's not easy either

Reply to
stuart noble

2400dpi is good enough for most film. You can see the grain at that resolution.
Reply to
dennis

Not everyone limits what will run on their machine.

Reply to
dennis

everybody has limits on what will run on their machine.

None of my gridwatch code would run on yours

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would run on at least one of them.

Reply to
dennis

reverse ferret. You said machine, not machines

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or just visit your local library and take the photo and a USB stick with you. All libraries now have decent copiers that also do a good job of scanning to a USB stick. West Sussex libraries don't even charge for DIY scans.

Reply to
Andrew

I've spent the last few days farting around scanning slides and negatives. 4800dpi on an Epson V200 with no scanning options selected except for dust removal set to the high setting takes about 2 minutes.

I have enough slides that look great - especially Kodachrome

64 - to be thankful for the development of high quality digital cameras! ;-)
Reply to
David Paste