Faded in ground vinyl pool liner

Our pool is only 7 years old but very faded, the side facing the sun above the water is almost white and was deep blue. The in the water area look like it has went from blue to green. I may have not treated it properly and increased fading the water area but the above water is just sun. I have had quotes for a new one from $1800 to $3000. The pool is 16x32, 8 feet deep. The pool was installed before we bought the house. should i try for a warranty coverage from them or just install new one and try to watch the chemistry better. i have noticed I have to add PH raiser a lot!. Anyway to slow sun fading? Does shock fade it faster? GF

Reply to
gf

I'd blame the sun and oxidation (air and chlorine). pH would also have an effect. A good inorganic pigment should not fade that much. If liner is not cracked or leaking, I wonder if you can bring back color by renewing surface by cleaning, removing a thin layer of plastic, or treating with one of those automotive products that renew vinyl surfaces. Pigmented plastics are colored by addition of pigment to the entire plastic and not just the surface (as with paint). Restoring surface may restore color.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Any warranty the liner may have had, would be pro rated and wouldn't include installation or water replacement. In other words the liner, which is worth about $1000 with a 10 year warranty would net you $300 at best. To be honest I'd love to get seven years out of a liner. Mine cost $5000 to install and I start getting shrinkage and leaks after about two years. I have all I can do to keep the things alive for five years

Reply to
RBM

I keep wondering if a backhoe and a pile of dirt isn't the best solution

Reply to
RBM