Recommended LED supplier

Which company is the group recommended UK LED supplier these days

I used to use LED Hut but remember seeing on this group that maybe they have new owners and now the service and delivery times are not good.

This time I'm after some white LED strip @ 10W per metre plus heat-sink/channel and diffuser cover.

Reply to
alan_m

Do they really get that warm? I thought the idea of LED was efficiency. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Yes they can get quite hot but the heat is very localised to the junction, so you don't normally notice. Whenever current flows heat will be generated, where there's resistance.

Reply to
whisky-dave

10W per metre is the total power and in the case of LEDS most of which is converted to light. 10W per metre strip may output 800 to 1000 lumens per metre.

The aluminium channel and diffuser is required for the ease of installation for where I'm fitting the lighting. The aluminium channel also has the advantage of providing some heat-sinking which may not actually be required for operation.

Reply to
alan_m

Very much so. The LEDs in my car headlights have cooling fans.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well if its switched very fast and the resistance is low then its all down to the duty cycle of the device. There was some work done some time ago over running leds in pulse mode. I never heard the results. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Yes well in a very enclosed space, I can imagine that would be needed if they are on long periods. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Almost all LEDs are run in pulse mode more commonly know as PWM (pulse width modulation). That's why some car headlights flash if you film them at high FPS rates, I even notice it on the 7-seg displays on our PSUs, where it's more multi-plexing the display rather than PWM.

That si why you can hear a sound from cheap LED PSUs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

they're quite good but not that good.

80-100 per watt is well short of 50% efficiency.
Reply to
tabbypurr