Recommendations sought for really cheap power drill

I already have a "posh", heavy-duty impact drill, but I need a small drill for using around the house on small jobs. I had one I bought from Focus when it was Payless, an own brand. It lasted 8 years, which was fair enough for the price.
Currently I'm looking at the Tesco own brand for 9.99. I expect Wilkinson also do a cheap own-brand drill, but I haven't looked yet. Any other recommended drills up to, say, 20? (No cordless ones, please! This is one case when I'm prepared to put up with the cable.)
MM
On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:47:32 +0000, MM wrote:

I noticed one on HotUKDeals a few days ago: Argos ISTR A couple of years ago I picked up an 18V one from Sainsbury for a fiver - still going strong even though it only has NiCd batteries.
--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/2620110210134829866.php

Having spoken to some people that have tried using tools like that, there are none I'd recommend. But there is one cheap drill option that does work well: get yourself a very old B&D drill for 0 - 3. These things are quite undervalued now.
NT
In article

I've had several B&D mains drills over the past 40 years and only one - a Tradesman - gave and continues to give good service. The others all broke. I'd expect one from Lidl to be rather better made. They come with a 3 year warranty.
--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

FWIW I've had better results with old good kit than new cheapo.
NT
Tabby wrote:

But is old B&D actually any good? I've known people say their stuff was already pretty hopeless 30 years ago.
--
Scott

The old 60s/70s stuff is fairly basic. A chuck that's normally big enough, an on off switch, sometimes a 2 speed gearbox, and that's it. For a second or third drill that much is fine. By the late 80s they'd gone modern, with a decent feature set.
They look grim but are capable enough. An old 275w B&D was able to operate a size down from a 1" auger in some very tough wood, without getting stuck or slowing down much, and did a lot of holes without heating up. I even used it to put a 2" core drill through concrete when I didnt have the right shank for the sds. They're certainly not fancy, but capable enough, and at a couple of quid for a backup drill theyre' a bargain imho.
Just one caution - do use insulating gloves with them. Drilling into a cable holding a metal bodied drill doesn't appeal, and an RCD on the drill doesn't help.
NT

Buy drill bits with hex shanks and keep using the impact driver. They drill holes very well.
On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 23:39:58 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"

My main drill is just too big and heavy for little jobs. I bought it in Karstadt in the 1970s. I like using a smaller drill if I only need a pilot hole for a screw, or drilling holes for shelves etc. The last time I needed the big drill was to drill holes for #12 screws in the garage wall to mount metal shelves on. But for most jobs the small drill is ideal.
MM

Expain what you have, "heavy-duty impact drill", whatever that is.

I'll bet the impact drill is in fact an ordinary hammer one.
And hex shank bits cost a fortune compared to ordinary ones.
--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

This is a special needs person.

You'd certainly bee familiar with those. When did you get out of the home?
--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

You can see the needs by the writings.

Right, well, I've just bought the Argos cheapo at 9.99. Stinks of WD40 (just as some of the reviews said), but I don't care since the tool will be kept in the garage. All the "features" appear to be in order and working. Ugly looking black thing, but I only need to drill holes, not admire its designer look (it ain't got one).
We will see....
MM