Buying a (cheap) bench drill - recommendations ?

HI All
I'm looking for a (cheap) drill press / bench drill.
Currently I'm using an elderly Black & Decker drill mounted in one of those drill press adapters - and the poor old drill has seen better days. The chuck bearing is somewhat sloppy, the gearbox sounds like a cement mixer, and the holes that the chuck key fits into are oval !
So - time for a new toy !
Not expecting to do much metalwork with it, certainly nothing 'heavy-duty'. Most of the time will be spent drilling timber, and fused glass (more 'grinding' really - diamond wire & core bits).
I'm looking at the range from CPC - specifically because they do a very reasonably delivery charge out here to south-west Ireland.
They have bench drills from Clarke and NuTool - both for about 55 euro - which seems ridiculously cheap. Budget won't stretch to the other model they have in stock which is made by Xenox (??) and costs 280 euro....
The Clarke one is here http://cpcireland.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/268887.xml
And the NuTool one is here http://cpcireland.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/437525.xml
Any comments / suggestions / recommendations about these two drills ?
Many thanks Adrian

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/268887.xml
http://cpcireland.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/437525.xml
I bought the Aldi one when it was available at 29.99 its exactly the same as either of those two which are basically the same model. Pop into a local Aldi branch and see if its surfaced again? I'm sure it'll be on sale soon if it already hasn't been on sale?
Hi George
wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I get the impression that these tools at the cheap end of the market are probably all much the same... - hence the question...
Yes - 30 quid is about the same as the euro price from cpc - plus a bit for postage but I need some other stuff from them as well.
Our nearest Aldi is up in Killarney - probably 1.5 to 2 hours each way - told you we were out in the sticks ! <g> Actually, there's probably one in Cork City - but getting around the 'big city' is a hassle <g> Much the same travel time anyway.
We do have a local Lidl - but (judging by their Irish fliers) there's no pillar drills on their way in the near future...
Thanks Adrian
saying something like:

I bought the Aldi bench drill a couple of years ago, not expecting it to be up to much, but I was surprised. It's agricultural, sure, but quite useful. When I bought mine there was a stack of them remaining in store, and that was a good week after they'd been out on the floor - I reckon most people who wanted one had their need satisfied the previous time they'd been available.
Since then, I've seen it pop up a couple of times on the Aldi site and Lidl have had it too. If you get a CPC version, it would be worth your while grabbing an Aldi one as a spare.
--

Dave

I've got one of those but these motors are incredibly gutless. It struggles with any sort of significant load but as long at you're prepared to take your time, you will get through eventually. ;-)
My handheld drills have all been more powerful than this.
Tim
HI Tim
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:05:25 +0100, "Tim Downie"

Thanks for the comments. I was a bit sceptical - after all, I've spent more on just a motor than they're asking for the complete thing -
About the hardest work I can imagine giving it is drilling 9.5mm holes in ash-wood..... so that shouldn't be too taxing.
Thanks Adrian

I'd check it has enough clearance between table and drill end for this task. Mine hasn't if the wood is thick and you're using a vice.
--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

HI Dave
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 23:17:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Hmmm - there's a thought..... (ordered the Clarke drill last night !)
168mm apparently - might be OK - though I see they also quote a chuck-to-base distance of 260mm (presumably you can swing the table out of the way and work directly on the base..?)
The wood in question is the triangular base for a stained-glass lamp - only about 25 - 30mm thick, and I've tended to do the drilling without the aid of a vice......
Anyway - all ordered - so we'll see what the courier brings. He'll be delighted - apparently it weights 19kg. Just hope they don't do what the did once in Suffolk - shipped me a 100m (wooden) reel of heavy-duty coaxial cable - loose-packed with an assortment of dil ICs and other discrete components. Quite a mess, after the cable reel had bounced around inside the box for a day or so.....
....we'll see.
Thanks Adrian
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:29:54 +0100, Adrian wrote:

Thinking about how the work is held when (not if) the drill binds is a Good Idea(tm). Even if it's just that it rotates and hits the column, if that is the case start with the work against the column. B-)
The other thing that might be a problem is the quill centre to column face distance but of you've been using a B&D drill stand without trouble that's probably not going to be an issue.

I wouldn't put any money on it. I had a packet a ground glass in with one of my deliveries that also contained a drill vice. The ground glass should have been 5 20A fuses... Hope the laminator survives. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.

HI Dave
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:37:26 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

Yes - all understood <g>

No - that won't be a problem The timber in question is a piece of (usually) ash - cut to an equilateral triangle about 4.5" per side. Needs a small hole near each corner and then the big 9.5mm one in the centre.

<g> It's common in the stainaed glass / fused glass world to buy 'scrap' glass (as in other peoples' offcuts). Once had some scrap come from the USA - postie stood there with a parcel which sounded like broken glass ('cos it was) and an expression on his face that said 'he's not going to like this'.....
..was much relieved when i explained that's how it should sound !
I'll let you know whether the drill press gets damaged by the laminator - or the other way round <g>
Adrian
Adrian wrote:

I'm looking for a bench drill that takes Morse Taper bits (I forget exactly which) as well as a normal chuck. Most of the ones I've seen advertised are quite expensive. Are there cheap ones? Are there some not advertised as MT that actually have it?
thanks
dan
Dan Smithers wrote:

Most of them seem to have a morse taper chuck fitting, but as I mentioned in another post, my Ferm drill has a morse taper quill, but it is the wrong sex for use with a drill bit - i.e. the chuck has the female bit. So you will have to check carefully before buying.
--
Cheers,

John.

saying something like:

Bless'em, warehouse monkeys aren't employed for their brainpower. I had a Northern Tools compresser arrive in a single skin cardboard box. As you can imagine it took a bit of a battering in transit and the plastic air cowl was busted. Useless bastards never replaced it.
--

Dave

You got a machinemart in Ireland?
http://tinyurl.com/5pclu3
Hi George
wrote:

Apparently not....
Adrian
Adrian wrote:

A year or two ago I inherited what I think is a Nutool one (from a friend who was buying himself a new one).
It works. It even sounds quite nice. But the damn thing wobbles. No matter what I try to drill, the end of the bit wobbles with respect to the thing I am trying to drill.
Yesterday I did a couple of 35mm holes (for Blum hinges). Very difficult to get the bit to re-enter the partially drilled hole accurately (whether spinning or not!). Yes - the workpiece was clamped to the drilling table. Everything appears as tight as it can be.
I put this down to it being a very cheap model. So, as soon as funds permit, I shall be investigating just slightly better kit. Not expensive - just the next level up.
O - horrible chuck. Keeps going tight-slack-tight as you try to turn the chuck key. Crap depth stop. Nasty MDF drilling table.
Have a look here:
<http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Engineers-Pillar-Drills-208136.htm
(They do deliver to Eire.)
--
Rod

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/268887.xml
http://cpcireland.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/437525.xml
The chuck assembly might not have been central aligned? when I bought this Aldi one the chuck had to be fixed into place up the drive shaft ie the chuck was tapred at the end and it had to be hammered into place with a soft mallet.
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:52:43 GMT, George wrote:

Certainly sounds like a problem with the chuck, especially with the reference to tight-slack-tight as you turn the key. Knock it off the shaft, it'll no doubt be a taper fit. Check the shaft runs true then set to striping the chuck to make it work evenly.
I've got a "Performance Power" (aka NuTool and countless other "brands") small cheapo pillar drill. Does well enough, drill go straight back down the hole they have just drilled. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.

HI Dave
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:49:54 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

Sounds good - thanks ! Adrian

I've got one as well, can't grumble about it either.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk