Power Drill Recommendations

My 4.5amp SKIL 3/8" keyless-chuck drill burned-up last night while I was trying to drill some 3/16" holes in masonry. (Yes... I was using a masonry bit). The drill is about two years old, but I only use it on weekends -- and usually only on soft wood. I'll be doing more work this year, though, and I'd like something that is heavy-duty-enough to handle work in hardwoods and soft metals -- with the occasional excursion into masonry and thin steel. My thanks for your recommendations.

Reply to
hdmundt

Get a 1/2 inch drill for heavy duty stuff Get GOOD 3/8 inch drills, and avoid the really cheap stuff at places like HD or Lowes no matter what the amp rating

3/8 inch is lighter in weight and the low end 3/8 drills just are not up to drilling masonry. My PC 3/8 is also rated at 4.5a but my 1/2 Milwaukee is rated at 7.5a

John

Reply to
John Crea

Bridger

Bridger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm also in the market for a replacement of my 30 year-old Skil. Hoever, $150 is a bit steep for me. What would be the best in the $90-100 range?

Reply to
Han

You really need a "hammer" drill if you are going to do much masonry drilling since that is how the bits are designed to work.

I have done my share of hole drilling without the hammer drill (up to

1/2") but burned out a lot of bits. I now have a Milwaukee 3/8" drill that can switch from hammer drill mode to non-hammer mode and it works soooo much better. I expect I have more than saved the extra cost for the hammer option by not buying and burning as many bits. It's up to you to decide the economy of burned bits versus the hammer option. Quality drills are all over $100 but it's one of those cry once now or cry later when you have to replace a cheaper drill....

-Bruce

hdmundt wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

Makita makes a 1/2" hammer-drill for about $90 available at home centers. If overloaded and damaged, it's not worth repairing.

However, it's fairly light, can be switched between hammer and drill mode, and comes with a plastic case.

I recently used it to substitute for a 7/8" rotary hammer when it conked out on a job.

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

snipped-for-privacy@webbox.com (Tom Kendrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Thanks Tom!