Recomendation for kitchen

On 07 Mar 2005, Bruce wrote that Oliver wrote

I go with Oliver on this: on the face of it, you might think that a refurb is simplest and that starting from scratch is more daunting, but refurb almost always means discovering that the original fitter did something non-standard, and you wind up facing a complex task to fit the new stuff in with the old.

I've fit 4 (I think - might be 5) kitchens for us and my sister-in-law over the past 20 years; the first time I couldn't have been any more familiar with the job than you are at this point. (It wasn't difficult: I'm methodical, and learned a lot by constant reference to "how-to" books and such-like.)

Whilst all of the installations I've done were full replacements, the two easiest jobs were undoubtedly where the whole room had been stripped back to bare walls: minor plumbing -- extending the pipework for the dishwasher and stuff -- and setting-out the electric points was a *lot* easier than trying to work around existing installations.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Same here. You start with a blank sheet and plan exactly where you want to put all the sockets, lights, plumbing, etc.

When removing the old kitchen, I save one base unit and appropriate length of worktop and move it into the dining room, to support microwave and kettle, with fridge standing next to it, so there's a sort of emergency kitchen area available which will keep you going whilst real kitchen is out of service.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I found this to be an advantage. My small kitchen occupies a corner (1000mm x 1900mm). Any corner unit from the Wickes range would have wasted at least 200mm. That's too much to waste when space in this flat works out at something like £7,000 M^2.

I am quite please with IKEA you can buy all the bits separately so it was quite easy to make up something to fit. And the quality is as good as any other pack of chipboard, especially once you glue the joints and bolt it to the wall.

Reply to
quisquiliae

I don't get much bother now at most

TP do (or at least did) a Cheque account, you only need a letter headed invoice and bank approval. Doesn't mean you cant then pay cash, but you are a account customer.

Reply to
Mark