Pole/post information please

I wish to get a post on which to mount 3 bird tables. Ideally I would also like arms to fit this post, the post should be about 7ft above ground. I have seen an ideal one on a near neighbours property holding a traffic mirror. Normally I would go and ask for information, but though they have been moved in for over a year no one ever sees them and there are seldom any cars about. I've tried Google to no effect, any help please? also how deep would I need to bury it in concrete to hold firm?
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:49:51 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Material? 7' above ground needs a good 2' if not 3' buried if it isn't going to fall over. A 5" square 10' tanellised(*)decent timber (few knots straight close grain) should do. See what the local builders merchants have (not the sheds or garden centers as fence posts).

Depends a bit on your soil. Hire a post hole borer and make the hole as snug as possible. In loose sandy soils that might be harder than in more solid clays. Pop the post in, fit some temporay braces/guys to hold it vertical and firmly ram/pack the soil back in around it. No need for concrete.
Even well tanellised it may well still rot off just above ground level in 5 to 10 years. That is the region where the enviroment for rot is "just right", not too wet not too dry.
(*) One of the trade names for CCA timber treatment. CCA treated timber has a green tinge.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:40:26 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

I was thinking how big are the three sails that will be attached to it. Mind I do tend to over engineer things but then they last...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:05:07 AM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

presumably "tweety bird" feeder size?

....too long? ;>)
Jim K
On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 00:32:08 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

3 x 12" square (3' sq foot of sail) or 3 x 18" sq (6.75 sq foot of sail).

Saves having to rebuild or repair. If no longer needed materials can be reused. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 20/08/2013 16:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:

My local farm supplies place has round tanalised posts up to about 9 foot. I have a post thumper which is usually the quickest "manual" way. You need a stepladder in this case of course.
Postcrete is another relatively easy option if you have bored or dug a hole.
Or a 3 inch Metpost plus timber.
On 20/08/2013 16:54, Dave Liquorice wrote: ...

IME Oak is not that much more expensive but it is a lot more durable.
Colin Bignell

Is Alder hard to come by? Reputedly almost rot-proof.
Tim
On 21/08/2013 07:01, Tim+ wrote:

I have decided upon a permanent position. The post will go into what is (to my mind) laughingly called gravel, a basic fairly sandy soil with pebbles between 1/4 inch and 9 inches, a b*gger to dig holes in, so I will probably end up fixing it with concrete.
On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:37:45 PM UTC+1, Broadback wrote:

what about a post base with a spike on? esp if 3" or 4" square - wil keep it a bit clear of the ground (rot) too?
Jim K

But will rust and look manky. I wouldn't used a fixed position bird feeder myself as the amount of spilled seed and bird dropping makes a mess of my lawn. Moving the feeder weekly gives the lawn time to recover.
Tim
So use a galvanised one?
How long will a post last fixed by your preferred method? Which is?
Jim K
Jim K wrote:

It's customary to quote the relevant bits you're querying so that folk know what you're questioning.
Anyhow, I was really referring to those horrible "Metpost" things. Never seen a galvanised one but then I haven't looked in ages.

If you'd followed the thread, you know that it's not to used a "fixed" method at all but to use a moveable post that just "spears" into the lawn.
Tim
If you'd followed the thread, you know that it's not to used a "fixed" method at all but to use a moveable post that just "spears" into the lawn.
Tim
Reading between the lines of your poor English -If you read the thread rather than just your own posts, you'd see the op has chosen a permanent site.... And makes no mention of moveable ?
Hope it's clear enough.
Jim K

Still not got the hang of quoting have you?
Agree about the English though. A combination of typos and auto-correct totally screwed up that sentence. ;-)
Tim
On Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:12:23 AM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

but have you read the whole thread yet?

mmm reading things doesn't seem to be your strong suit ;>)
Jim K
Jim K wrote:

But at least you've learned to quote now. :-p
Tim
On Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:21:04 AM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

though nothing to do with your efforts - I'm on the desktop m/c not a "smartphone" now.
Back OnT - would you like a link to a galvanised spike post base?
or are you just hanging around trying to recover your injured pride? :>P
Jim K
Jim K wrote:

Not that smart a phone then. Newstap on my iphone allows quoting.

Not really. If you say that they exist I'm sure you're right. All the Metposts I've seen in DIY shed haven't been galvanised.

Not really. I was just trying to make the point (badly admittedly) that a fixed post in one position isn't always a good idea for a bird feeder if you have a lawn below it or other bit of garden that you care about.
An easly moveable post has some advantages.
Tim