Reciprocating Saw FAQ section

Yet another bit for review:

/ flames this way ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

| Yet another bit for review: | |

| | Comments / flames this way ;-)

Surely it should by reciprocating *power* saw to differentiate from *hand* saw which strictly speaking also reciprocate.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On the subject of the saw binding, either rub a candle on the side of the blade or WD-40 it. Possibly advise RCD use, certainly keeping an eye on where the power cord is.

Keep up the good work.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

"and the motor" "and a motor" "great amount finesse" + "of" "is to be recommended" - "to be" "Gloves..." + "Though not as dangerous as other tools, eye protection is a good idea, blades can break, or other accidents occur." "to play at pay" = "to pay"

Are minor. I'd rewrite There are several types of reciprocating saw. There are a few proprietary designs like the Black and Decker Scorpion saw (not really comparable to most reciprocating saws, and more like a jigsaw on steroids), and the DeWalt Alligator Saw (a double action saw with twin counter acting blades). Most however are what one might call "standard" designs.

As

There are several types of reciprocating saw. Proprietary designs like the Black and Decker Scorpion saw (more like a jigsaw on steroids), and the DeWalt Alligator Saw (a double action saw with twin counter acting blades). Most however are what one might call "standard" designs.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The saw does not do the reciprocating, the user does.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

| Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:52:51 +0100, John Rumm | > wrote: | > | > | Yet another bit for review: | > | | > |

> [...]

LOL

Not when *I* use one.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Ta for that! New version up.

(Twas the second one I tried with the voice dictation SW. Gave it some more training this time, but I think it is still a bit of a double edged sword - quick and easy with no spelling mistakes, but it creates errors that are much harder to proof read / spell check out than I can manage by hand!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Some examples of use I put my reciprocating saw to are in Message-ID:

Since then I have used it with a 'stone' blade to cut a rectangular aperture for an airbrick in limestone (bath stone) block some 5" thick. This block forms part of the bay window of our house and the task required blind cutting from one side only. I did have to make a starting slot by drilling with a 6mm drill but after that the blade easily cut the stone.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Som nice examples there.... I might nick a few and stick em in just to highlight the things it will do that are unique abilities.

BTW. The scorpion is not the one with the counter acting twin blades - thats the aligator (DeWalt, and possibly Hitachi as well)

Reply to
John Rumm

At a pinch, you could incude electric carving knives in this section. They are useful for trimming Celotex etc.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nick whatever you want.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Do mention the necessity of using a tea-towel or similar for changing the blades on these. A friend of mine forgot this and we spent the afternoon in Casualty while Sunday lunch turned stone cold. I have been accused of being Nanny before, but many DIY accidents are simple to prevent. They might just be a scratch, but permanent disablement or even death can result from a casual attitude to safety. Ladder-type accidents (falls and struck by falling object) seem to account for a good proportion of the accidents reported to HSE. Falls appear to be king in the fatality stakes. Should you wish to wade through over 150 pp.

Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

When you say "these" are you refering to the knives to the saws? (I have not included the knives in the faq as yet...)

Reply to
John Rumm

Knives. They can go surprisingly deep into fingers.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt