Recalcitrant jar lids

Just use a blunt table knife/screwdriver to lever the edge of the lid slightly: lets air in to break the suction. No need for angle grinders or complicated other solutions.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

+1 (if all the opening aids fail)
Reply to
Robin

but, when the glass doesn't give anything to press the blade against?

Reply to
charles

twist

Reply to
Robin

For jars or bottles with metal screw-top lids, I use one of these

Chris Hogg

Indeed, you aren't levering the lid off, you're just breaking the seal. You insert the blade flat (in one of the gaps between the threads) and twist. You're levering between the glass and the lid rim. You need maybe 3mm of travel before the seal is broken. Then remove the blade and undo the lid as normal.

It's a lot easier than any tools which are designed to fight against the suction: just let the air in and then there's no suction to fight against.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Despite looking very improbable the 'JarKey' is very effective at releasing the vacuum without damaging the lid.

Mike Clarke

Surpringly use your left hand, the muscles work better that way,

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

That's what I use my large stilsons for nowadays wrap the glass in an old inner tube for grip then two sets of stilsons. Not much resists.

Reply to
John J

Usually, I could do the jars by hand, unless Barbara had chewed the lids up with the tool. I did find that holding the lid still and rotating the jar, which was in my left hand, often worked best.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

You had boiled pickled gherkins?

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's how they come. But not boiled,no - they were clearly packed at a higher temp than I got them to as there was still some vacuum . The bottom oven on an Aga seldom get stuff much above 60°C...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 Bought a couple of these for elderly relatives with severe arthritis & both said they were ideal.
Reply to
wasbit

Probably wouldn't work for those with severe arthritis as they can't grip the jar securely even with 2 hands. May work if they wear Marigolds though.

Reply to
wasbit

I have an ancient tin opener without a turning handle - just a hook under the end. Put the hook under the lid and lift up enough to distort the lid and let the air in.

Reply to
Dave W

Reply to
Rod Speed