Unopenable jam jar

I want to make an unopenable jam jar - one that will resist the strongest grips.

What's the best way to achieve this?

I imagine that filling it up with boiling water, running a seam of superglue along the rim and thread then screwing the lid on tightly would get the best results.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1irtvh1.14cmmxb1rwazzwN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

Marmalade round the rim seems to work in our house.

Reply to
Vortex2

Why the boiling water? Is that what you want it to be full of?

I recall doing something like this once - can't remember why. I used Araldite and left the jar+lid in a recently-heated oven for faster/ stronger setting.

It 'mostly' worked. But the Araldite didn't properly fully adhere to the glass and you could work the lid a little free. You might try something similar with epoxy resins designed for glass.

Ah, I remember now - I was experimenting with making a cheapskate 'moneybox'!

HTH J^n

Reply to
jkn

That's just to create a vacuum effect on the lid, to help keep it closed.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:58:11 +0000 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote this:-

Do you want the contents, or the jar and the lid and the contents?

Has it already been opened?

If you only want the contents and a proper jar opener will not shift it then drill a hole in the lid. If the jar has not been opened this will release the vacuum. If necessary the hole can be enlarged to remove the lid.

Reply to
David Hansen

Why? Someone can always smash it if they want to get it open.

Reply to
Mark

You've just done what I almost did. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Following up to Dave Plowman (News)

well, its the obvious conclusion to jump to!

Following up to D.M. Procida

i would prefer araldite, can I ask why?

Sounds like a Christmas trick to play on a brother or similar - "I bet I'm stronger than you", , sleight of hand to swap to identical looking jar, Pop!,

"That was easy"

Reply to
OG

I'd remove the soft sealing ring from inside the lid, the use a good quantity of Araldite and cure it in the oven.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

David .Read the OP again slowly...LOL

Reply to
fictitiousemail

No it isn't. The OP is perfectly clear. Hints of the DIY English thread?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No such thing exists. You could make one that's very difficult to open, would that do?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'd be inclined to try hot-melt adhesive. If you use superglue or any other kind of hard setting glue there's a chance that the bond could be broken - or that it might not fully take to either the lid or the glass. Hot-melt adhesive has some give in it, it's not as brittle as a hard setting glue. Best bet would be to try it, and use a jar opener for extra leverage to test.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I want to use it to demonstrate a point about physiology and to show how

- when making strenuous efforts against resistant physical objects - we typically contort our bodies in inefficient ways. It will spoil my demonstration if the jar can be twisted open easily.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Following up to Man at B&Q

sure, but we all make assumptions sometimes, theres no fault in the Ops message but its easy to assume the usual.

i will read it!

Following up to Mike Barnes

in which case you can forget the hot water vacuum thing and leave the original contents, also thus removing the contact between hot water and the araldite.

Mate of mine (Mark, also a magician) used to do something similar with a sharpie marker. He would remove the cap & apparently place it on the other end of the pen. What actually happened was that he palmed the cap, and on the other end of the pen was a duplicate cap super glued in place.

The unsuspecting punter would sign the playing card, then automatically try to replace the cap - which he couldn't. After a little humorous patter Mark would reverse the process and apparently re cap the pen. Very funny to watch :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You sound like the right sort of person to confirm or deny a pet theory of mine that's usually greeted with some scepticism. I believe that, all other things being equal, a left hander will find it easier to unscrew a difficult lid than a right hander. The body's geometry makes the right hand stronger turning clockwise[1], and the left hand stronger turning anticlockwise. Combine that with the left-hander having a stronger left hand due to greater use, and the result is clear.

Even if this theory isn't true, explaining it lessens the embarrassment when people see how easy it is for me (left handed, of course) to open the jar they've been struggling with.

[1] which is why the "right hand thread" became the norm, people attaching more importance to tightening than loosening
Reply to
Mike Barnes