Peppers Pickled

Put in the jar on the 12th , and I just couldn't wait any longer . They're very tasty , not as hot as I'd feared . As I recall , it was about 40 peppers , 2/3C each white vineger and distilled water and a teaspoon of canning salt per pint jar . Next year I'll be planting more and a bigger variety of peppers .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I generally put up ten or twelve pint jars of pickled peppers each year. Proper amount of Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride), let sit a couple of weeks, start eating. I take off the head, get the seeds out and slice them longwise.

The grands and great grands like them too so may have to double the jar count next year. We also head, seed, chop into various sized bits, toss them on a large bun pan, into freezer for an hour, then out and into vacuum sealed bags for later use in cooking.

Sweet chiles, aka "peppers," do well in our climate. Still have four or five plants in the garden that were planted in February and are still producing. One of my favorites is "Gypsy," very prolific, are yellow and fully ripened are a light red. Another is "Carmen," a Poblano type that ripens a deep red and gets fairly large, good for many uses in cookery.

The radishes are up, onion starts are in the ground, the lone cucumber plant is producing well, and the mesclun mix and spinach are just coming up. Four broccoli plants are doing well and tomorrow we will plant four cabbage plants. So far so good.

George

Reply to
George Shirley