glass jar over wasps nest

Hi, we have just found a wasp's nest about the size of a tennis ball in the loft and and a couple of other nests about the size of golf balls.

My son just saw a wasp flying about in the loft. I always thought they were supposed to die off at this time of year.

What to do? I know you can get special powder to squirt in the hole of the nest, but might they not leap out and have a go?

I thought to get a large jar place it over the nest and scrape it into the jar with a thin piece of wood and then cap the jar with it to form a lid. Is this a possibilty? Or is there a better solution please? Thanks.

Reply to
jw 1111

I've got a wasp nest the size of a large PC monitor in my loft. I believe that the wasps do die in the Winter because they can't find food. The only wasp left alive is the queen which I am told will hibernate and start a new nest in spring probably in your loft, but not I believe in the same place as a previous nest(s). I would take a chance on just chopping them off and removing them, one at a time of course. The number of wasps in such a small nest cannot be great and they would be pretty dozy on a cold day, anyway unless your loft is exeptionally badly insulated and warm. Just wear some gardening gloves in case. I have removed other nests before without problems in the Winter, I havn't yet tackled the big one yet. I can't believe that the wasp nests are active and being built at this time, but perhaps you should keep an eye open to see if they increase in size in the next few days. I believe its important to block up any access holes they have made and keep your eyes peeled for any fresh nests being made say March- April onwards, and get rid before they attain any size. I did find a foam spray at B&Q and FOCUS that one can spray on the nest from about 5-10 Metres and totally envelope the nest. This is supposed to kill the wasps especially if you can get some in the entrance. Mine didn't work but then mine was a huge nest by the time I found it On the other hand provided they aren't stinging anyone, do your bit for nature and let them stay, I believe they are useful in killing garden pests and flies.

Best of Luck

Dave

"jw 1111" wrote in message news:6jWwf.40839$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
dave

These are probably wood wasps - bigger than 'ordinary' wasps but harmless.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I have done this successfully. Do it at night when they are asleep in the nest. Failing that I used the powdwr on a larger nest which killed the whole lot with one small puff. They were large and viscious wasps which flew at me when I got to about three feet from the nest. I got stung which is why they had to go. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB