Rebuilding a bathroom questions

Hi there

I live in hertfordshire, and need to knock a toilet and bathroom into one (simple stud wall removal), move a doorframe, fit a new window, skim the ceiling, move a bath and basin a bit, and install a shower and tile.

I need to do this for under 5k. I can buy the new bath etc myself, but I cannot do the building work.

Is that budget realistic, and would anyone here recommend a builder to do the work?

Rgds Ed

Reply to
Ed the Amateur

Do you have access to another shower / toilet? (bearing in mind that it may be a while before your new bathroom is fully functional)

You can ring around a few manufacturers for window frames (take measurements in mm from brickwork to brickwork - they will deduct enough for clearance).

The walls won't need plastering so you should save money here. Pick up the new suite and the shower cubicle yourself, or have them delivered to save on builder's time and costs, likewise the windowframe, tiles and adhesive.

The builder then should charge only for labour, get a few prices and don't ring any plumbers because they don't need to be CORGI registered for water.

My 'guestimate' for materials only:

Window frame, inc DG units = £180 New suite (basic) = £500 Shower Cubicle = £300 Door and Frame = £100 Tiles (big variation here) = £200 (inc adhesive + grout) P-board and plaster = £70 Plumbing fittings and sundries = £150 Skip = £120

TOTAL £1620 .......you can price most, if not all of the materials you will need at B&Q and this estimate won't be far off, depending obviousy on tiles which can vary massively in prices, as can the actual suite and cubicle.

If anyone charges more than 3.5K for completing the entire project they are robbing you blind.

Reply to
Phil L

Many thanks Phil

The walls may need some plastering because there are tiles currently around the bath and basin but when I move the bath (just turning it around, not moving it away from current waste pipe) the tiling will need to be in a different place, so I wouldnt be able to just tile over them as some would be on different levels.

The walls are plasterboard, and when I tried to remove tiles in the kitchen parts of the walls came away.

Is the =A33,500 inclusive of all the stuff you suggest I buy? That was the kind of number I was expecting, but where we live builders seem to take the proverbial!

Reply to
Ed the Amateur

i believe that part p electrics say youre not allowed to touch any electrics inthe bathroom so can you leave the light where it is?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

The light could stay where it is if necessary, although it would look silly. However, there is a light switch in the wall that has to come down, so I couldnt do the project without doing something about the light currently in the toilet

Reply to
Ed the Amateur

Remove the one in the toilet whilst it is a toilet. Notification not necessary for toilet unless it has a bath/shower in it. Then remove the stud wall.

Reply to
<me9