Re: WTF Happened In 1971? [By a website of the same name.]

Steve Forbes, June 18, 2014.: "As Brad indicated, the book is about money & monetary policy, & money, particularly monetary policy is one of those topics, that seems to intimidate a lot of people, for some strange reason, and, as a result, the Federal Reserve, for example, has less formal oversight from Congress than do our intel agencies. The thesis of this book is that:

  1. The topic of money is very straightforward & simple, even though it's shrouded in a lot of jargon & a lot of equations, the idea of money is very basic. We've gotten away from it.
  2. Our policymakers today know less about money & monetary policy than they did 100 years ago. And since the early 70s, even though we've had booming decades in the 80s & 90s, overall, since we went off the Bretton Woods system, the old gold standard, in 1971, the U.S. average growth rates are less than they were before 1971.

If we'd maintained the growth rates we had for 180 years up to

1971, if we'd maintained those growth rates after 1971, on average, the U.S. economy today would be 50% larger than it is now. Forty years compounding adds up to a lot. Savor for a moment having 50% higher incomes, what it would mean for the deficit, what it would mean for Social Security, what it would mean for a lot of the social divisions today. This thing over time adds up. It's a critical reason why it takes two incomes in a family, to do what one income could do in previous generations. Obviously, taxes are a large part of it, but the debasement of the dollar since the early 70s is a critical part of it as well. And when this thing happens, when you don't have a stable currency, you end up with people not getting ahead the way they should, median incomes not growing the way they should, & leading to a fraying of the social fabric, reduction of social trust, & more divisions. As Keynes said, it's a process that not one in a million will be able to diagnose. And so that's why we wrote the book."
Reply to
David P

Rod Speed wrote:

Cause they stopped doing the high tariffs & high taxes!

ONLY 3 Depressions -- the other blips were only recessions: Depression of 1807-10 The Embargo Act of 1807 was passed by the the Congress under Jefferson as tensions increased with the UK. Along with trade restrictions imposed by the British, shipping-related industries were hard hit. The Federalists fought the embargo & allowed smuggling to take place in New England. Trade volumes, commodity prices & securities prices all began to fall. Macon's Bill #2 ended the embargoes in May 1810, & a recovery started. ===========================

1815?21 depression Shortly after the war ended 3/23/1815, the US entered a period of financial panic as bank notes rapidly depreciated because of inflation following the war. The 1815 panic was followed by several years of mild depression, & then a major financial crisis ? the Panic of 1819, which featured widespread foreclosures, bank failures, unemployment, a collapse in real estate prices, & a slump in agriculture & manufacturing. ============================ Panic of 1873 & Long Depression [10/1873?3/1879] Economic problems in Europe prompted the failure of Jay Cooke & Co, the largest bank in the US, which burst the post-Civil War speculative bubble. The Coinage Act of 1873 also contributed by immediately depressing the price of silver, which hurt North American mining interests. The deflation & wage cuts of the era led to labor turmoil, such as the Great RR Strike of 1877. In 1879, the US returned to the gold standard with the Specie Payment Resumption Act. =========================== Great Depression, [3/1929?3/1933] A banking panic & a collapse in the money supply took place in the US that was exacerbated by int'l commitment to the gold standard. Extensive new tariffs & other factors contributed to an extremely deep depression. GDP, industrial production, employment, & prices fell substantially. A small economic expansion within the depression began in 1933, with gold inflow expanding the money supply & improving expectations; the expansion would end in 1937. The ultimate recovery, which would occur with the start of WWII in 1940, was credited to monetary policy & monetary expansion.
Reply to
David P