Re-wiring - high current through junctions - problematic ?

Hi guys,

I'm re-wiring up my place, as part of renovations. It was last wired about 50yrs ago, so needs it :-) Anyway I'm putting in 1.5mm cable everywhere except for the kitchen sockets (inc w.machine) where I'm using 2.5mm. (I've a gas cooker) I'm a bit concerned about the high current running through this when for example kettle, and w.machine are on. There will be about 4 junction boxes before the w.machine, where the wire will be cut to allow a tap-off for a plug. My concern is at these junction boxes, the cables are joined using the common plastic, holder with screws (don't know the common name) and this could be the bottle neck for the elctricial current, potentially causing arcing, heat, fire.. Is this a legit concern ? Should I run a separate cable to the w.machine ?

TIA, Ray.

Reply to
HarryD

Are you implying that you are using 1.5mm cable for your ring mains?

Are you saying that the 2.5mm kitchen circuit is a radial circuit?

Yes, but if the answer to either of the above questions is "yes", it's the least of your worries. Please provide more info.

Reply to
Grunff

On 15 Dec 2004 07:34:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (HarryD) strung together this:

Whoa, back it up there cowboy. Do you mean you're using 1.5mm cable for the sockets in the house? If your answer is yes then don't bother reading any further, step away from the tools and call someone who knows what they're doing.

Reading this I can tell you have no idea what you're doing. Are you trying to say you have a radial, with several junction boxes, feeding the house and kitchen? You shouldn't be putting plugs on the end of cables either.

Fuck me, you mean terminal strips?

Only if not done properly.

Not if done properly.

I think you should leave it well alone and get someone who knows what they're doing to finish the job and correct what you've started. You scare me.

Reply to
Lurch

Same here, sound like a case for the company fuse to be pulled and sealed !

Unless this HarryD has problems putting thoughts down on 'paper' and doesn't mean what he has said in his message it sounds like there is a fatal accident (fire) just waiting to happen in his property... :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I smell a troll, but just in case not...

Yes

Yes

You should switch off at the mains, and call an electrician. Sorry but you are so far off the mark that any other suggestion would just be grossly irresponsible in this case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Unfortunately from what follows it might have been better if Part P was already in place. Please get a professional in now.

Reply to
Mike

But the stupid thing is, unless part P was going to restrict the sale of electrical hardware and fitting, it will not prevent lethal errors being made by 'keen' but ignorant DIYers...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:15:55 -0000, ":::Jerry::::" strung together this:

Quite right, if someone doesn't have any idea what they're doing it's highly unlikely that they'll know\care about Part P. Part P won't stop DIY disasters, just increase them as people can't afford to pay anyone to do the work.

Reply to
Lurch

Sorry there matey, but I don't think you can see past that ten gallon hat on your head. You're starting to frighten everyone in the group with your explanation of your proposed new electrical wiring scheme. Get an electrician to do the rewire for you, please!!!

You've taken these thoughts right out of my head, Mike. It's maybe because of the previous houses this guy has owned, that the new changes to Part P of the regs' is being implemented. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Unfortunately that's probably the case. Gulp :-(

Reply to
Mike

I can see it now. A black market in MK Logic wiring accessories with sales from off-shore boats.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Of course it would make a huge difference in this case.;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yeah. Sigh. Perhaps there should be a "general certificate of DIY competance" that one could take exams for and allowed one to do work for yourself but not for profit. Of course the cowboys would still see themselves as exempt but those of us trying to go by the rules would at least have a sane method of compliance (since I don't regard paying £100 to my council to have then check a £5 mains socket as a good use of my money)

Reply to
Mike

I think the OP is a troll employed by the ODPM!

Reply to
Bob Eager

But at least most, if not all, who would go to such lengths would be highly likely to have at least half a clue and not just find their way to a B&Q !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , HarryD writes

Am I the only one to smell a troll?

Reply to
Joe

Nah they haven't the time ATM, they will to busy trying to make JP the new Home sec. !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:24:37 +0000, Joe strung together this:

No, hence the mentioning of troll several times already.

Reply to
Lurch

That's a very good idea, tho is someone were to do night courses in electrics building etc would that make them competent and able to do their own work?

Reply to
Derek Doormer

Well whoever he is thinkhes just going to ignore this and carry on doing the work how he thinks best!

Reply to
Derek Doormer