Re-wiring - high current through junctions - problematic ?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:08:13 -0000, "Derek Doormer" strung together this:

Yep, and if we didn't say anything he would anyway so it doesn't matter what we do.

Reply to
Lurch

If the exams were difficult enough and appropriately structured then I don't see the problem. Let's be honest, the average person on here is far brighter than some of the 'professionals' one sees around (with apologies to those proper professionals on here of course - I'm sure they would like to see stricter qualifications in their trades as well.)

And the course would be on-line so only one night out for each module would be needed.

Reply to
Mike

Well I don't think he'll be coming back here anyway. Which is a pity actually because he could learn how to do it properly. I think a reply a long way back did list all his errors, didn't it ?

Reply to
Mike

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:32:13 -0000, "Mike" strung together this:

What trade? I've disowned mine and started doing something else.

Reply to
Lurch

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:34:18 -0000, "Mike" strung together this:

Er, no. It takes a lot more than a couple of posts interspersed with idiotic ramblings from know-nothings to learn how to rewire a house. You need at least a basic understanding before you start.

Several.

Reply to
Lurch

Hey, wasn't it a Harry who was posting last week about his mate 'who knows about electrics' who had wired an electric shower as spur from a ring main? Hmmm....

Reply to
Lobster

Agreed. But I'm sure if the question had been "I need to learn how to re-wire a house and I can't afford to go on a course" people would have pointed him to get a copy of the wiring regulations, some useful books to read and so on, plus pointed out that if he had any questions to post them here before he actually did anything. Everybody has to start somewhere and here is a far better place than next to the consumer unit !

Reply to
Mike

Didn't see that one. Oh gawd !!

A quote from Hitchhiker comes to mind "Death's too good for them." Just hope it's them and not some innocent who does.

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote | If the exams were difficult enough and appropriately structured then | I don't see the problem. ... And the course would be on-line so | only one night out for each module would be needed.

Unfortunately an on-line course wouldn't provide the practical experience needed. I'm quite a good plumber *in theory* but I wouldn't recommend anyone actually letting me near their pipes with a blowtorch.

Could not believe the twit on Bricking It last night wiring up sockets with no earth - and he was supposed to be one of the more intelligent ones? If this is the training and supervision the construction industry provides when things are being televised ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:02:59 GMT, "Lobster" strung together this:

That was MrHarry wasn't it? Although both dangerous, one knew he didn't have any idea and let his clueless mate put his life at risk, this Harry doesn't know he is clueless and is quite happy to put his own life at risk!

Reply to
Lurch

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 06:49:39 -0000, "Mike" strung together this:

Your missing the point, you don't rewire a house as practice run. If someone asked that question here I'd say get a professional in, you can't learn how to rewire a house in a week.

Reply to
Lurch

. Everybody has to start somewhere and

Or indeed any point between there and what ultimately uses the electrons....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I'm not sure that is valid. I'm restoring a large derelict house myself, studying what is required as I go. It's taken two years and still isn't quite finished but I believe everything - electrics, plumbing, central heating, brickwork, plastering, insulation, woodwork, decoration, etc, is all done to better standards than in my current house which was built by a local builder. This and other forums have been invaluable sources of good advice. I would never do it again, or indeed do any of these jobs professionally, but it's something I've always wanted to do just once.

Reply to
Mike