Re-upholstery

Hi all,
I don't really want some herbert trapsing in and out the house at this time of year, but have a couple of sofas that are sagging and will need to be done by someone - preferably me - before I end up with a permanent spinal deformity. Has anyone done this? Are all sofas the same in principle? I've seen some stuff on youtube that makes it look easy, but is it?
cheers, cd.
On 1/9/2015 6:38 PM, cd wrote:

I've done a number of chairs and sofas - they were all different. It's not terribly difficult, but does require care, attention, a great deal of patience - and tools.
Check your local library - there are quite a few good books on re-springing and/or reupholstering furniture.

As regards getting it done, it's generally cheaper to just buy a new one - unless a really valuable type worth spending money on.
As for DIY, you'd probably already know if you have suitable skills.
--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

Agreed

Full re-upholstery of a quality sofa is not a trivial job at all. If it is *just* replacing Pirelli webbing that is not too bad. But the seat cushions probably need a full overhaul.
There is no real resale value in used sofas, so you can get very good value from people who change them every couple of years. We seldom pay more than a tenner at the local Lions, who recycle them. But we have greyhounds, so we need several.
Yes the weak link on my old DFS sofa was the zig zag springs which kept breaking at the bends, I did enquire about getting it re sprung and new cussion stuffing but the cost was comparable to a new sofa so i went that route. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"cd" < snipped-for-privacy@noreply.net> wrote in message news:m8pops$fg4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Is it rubber webbing or the wavy metal stuff that has started to fail?
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 00:40:10 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

They're only 3 years old but started to fail a year ago. It's not acceptable to have to buy a new suit couple of years. Modern junk!
On 10/01/2015 12:31, cd wrote:

Two years doesn't sound a reasonable life for a sofa. Go back to the supplier, and complain.
More advice available on uk.legal.moderated.
Andy
On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 19:17:14 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:

Thanks. Sounds too complicated. I'll take a photo around to one of the local reupholsterers and see if it's worth the candle.

I've kept some going for a few more years - but it depends on the type of construction.
I've replaced the rubber straps in some chairs and settees, swapped around springs, replaced foam/stuffing and my wife has made new cushion covers. Another five years (or more) use means you can spend hard earned cash on something else.
John
--
John Mulrooney
On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 11:39:05 PM UTC, cd wrote:

I've done it, yes. I learnt that it takes more skill than I have to make a decent job of it.
NT

Yes - the tricky skills needed are often those thought to be womans' ones - like sewing.
--
*The statement below is true.

On 1/12/2015 8:22 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Tailoring and carpentry have much in common - shaping things to fit, and joining them neatly and securely.
On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 1:22:58 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I think I didn't put enough tension on the strapping. Should have made some sort of tool to do it.
NT

I bought one off Ebay. Wasn't expensive enough to consider making one.
--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 11:39:05 PM UTC, cd wrote:

I was asking about this a few weeks back. A leather sofa that is only sagging in my favorite spot ! My first plan is to "go in the bottom" (!) and see what the construction is, since it might be able to be fixed from underneath without removing the leather. I've not got round to it yet. I'm also going to get a quote for an upholsterer to do it ... Simon.

You can get decent stuff - but you have to pay for it.
--
bert

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 8:02:05 PM UTC, bert wrote:

Why are sofas so expensive? Its only a wooden frame, straps, cloth & cushions.
NT
writes

They involve quite a bit of manual work to make them.
And cost quite a bit to move if made in China.

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 12:14:30 AM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Yes... someone needs to design a fold-flat sofa
NT