Re-upholstery

Hi all,

I don't really want some herbert trapsing in and out the house at this time of year, but have a couple of sofas that are sagging and will need to be done by someone - preferably me - before I end up with a permanent spinal deformity. Has anyone done this? Are all sofas the same in principle? I've seen some stuff on youtube that makes it look easy, but is it?

cheers, cd.

Reply to
cd

I've done a number of chairs and sofas - they were all different. It's not terribly difficult, but does require care, attention, a great deal of patience - and tools.

Check your local library - there are quite a few good books on re-springing and/or reupholstering furniture.

Reply to
S Viemeister

As regards getting it done, it's generally cheaper to just buy a new one - unless a really valuable type worth spending money on.

As for DIY, you'd probably already know if you have suitable skills.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes the weak link on my old DFS sofa was the zig zag springs which kept breaking at the bends, I did enquire about getting it re sprung and new cussion stuffing but the cost was comparable to a new sofa so i went that route. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Is it rubber webbing or the wavy metal stuff that has started to fail?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They're only 3 years old but started to fail a year ago. It's not acceptable to have to buy a new suit couple of years. Modern junk!

Reply to
cd

Thanks. Sounds too complicated. I'll take a photo around to one of the local reupholsterers and see if it's worth the candle.

Reply to
cd

I've kept some going for a few more years - but it depends on the type of construction.

I've replaced the rubber straps in some chairs and settees, swapped around springs, replaced foam/stuffing and my wife has made new cushion covers. Another five years (or more) use means you can spend hard earned cash on something else.

John

Reply to
John Mulrooney

Agreed

Full re-upholstery of a quality sofa is not a trivial job at all. If it is *just* replacing Pirelli webbing that is not too bad. But the seat cushions probably need a full overhaul.

There is no real resale value in used sofas, so you can get very good value from people who change them every couple of years. We seldom pay more than a tenner at the local Lions, who recycle them. But we have greyhounds, so we need several.

Reply to
newshound

Two years doesn't sound a reasonable life for a sofa. Go back to the supplier, and complain.

More advice available on uk.legal.moderated.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've done it, yes. I learnt that it takes more skill than I have to make a decent job of it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes - the tricky skills needed are often those thought to be womans' ones

- like sewing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tailoring and carpentry have much in common - shaping things to fit, and joining them neatly and securely.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I think I didn't put enough tension on the strapping. Should have made some sort of tool to do it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I bought one off Ebay. Wasn't expensive enough to consider making one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was asking about this a few weeks back. A leather sofa that is only sagging in my favorite spot ! My first plan is to "go in the bottom" (!) and see what the construction is, since it might be able to be fixed from underneath without removing the leather. I've not got round to it yet. I'm also going to get a quote for an upholsterer to do it ... Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You can get decent stuff - but you have to pay for it.

Reply to
bert

Why are sofas so expensive? Its only a wooden frame, straps, cloth & cushions.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Because people are willing to pay it.