Re: tires

most do that IME

I had to pull out into traffic once last year, and didn't like it. There was literally no other option, nowhere else to go. Going back down the lane I came from wasn't a legal option, and there was nowhere else. Sitting & waiting, my usual tactic in such sitations, was clearly not working or going to. I've avoided that turnoff since.

I don't mind excusing drivers of ancient cars doing that. In modern traffic it's often the only way they're going to get out, other than waiting hours at each such junction.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I understand there are some auto-brake cars that leave the brake light on, even when your foots not on it?

Quite, a good (respectful) driver would never intentionally 'obstruct the flow of traffic'.

*If* you can see someone coming to the right but they are a way off and assuming say a 30 mph zone, it's less of an issue pulling across the first lane (when turning right) as there is a chance someone from the left will let you in before the person from the right gets to you. It's the people that pull out knowing there is nowhere to go and that you *will* have to brake to avoid them.

Or underpowered new cars or anything front-wheel-drive in the wet. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It was a 70 zone, so really not a likeable situation

I'm not aware of the existence of any underpowered new cars. Unless I've missed something they've all been overpowered for many decades. I've never driven an 'ape' but they might be an exception, along with other assorted developing country type vehicles.

Some of the things I've driven certainly qualified as underpowered. Having only 3 driving gears doesn't help. Many times I couldn't get over 19mph in that one.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Fiat 500?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon
<snip>

Not nice.

Well, it's all comparative isn't it? You judge the timings of things (nipping out on a busy / fast roundabout) based on the abilities of your vehicle. Something that launches like a rocket is easier to get up to speed and into the action than something that needs a good few revs and a bit of clutch slipping.

Again, I guess it's a comparative thing. I grant you that many cars are more powerful than is needed to say reach the national speed limit here but I've driven some that have difficult making some hills (at any speed) without rowing them around with the gear stick a bit.

Probably.

My kitcar isn't particularly overpowered being only an old 1300 and with a heavier body / chassis than the Mk2 Escort it came out of. You certainly have to plan you moves in advance when driving that. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m