Re: Arrrg! Happy Talk like a Pirate Day..

All in a days work isnlt it, although I thought those names had disproved regarding them being characters along with master bates, from capt. pugwash.

Or are you just being a master baiter.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes, those were scurrilous rumours, started or publicised by a now-defunct newspaper. Apparently the closest he came to anything "naughty" was when he once said "Yes I did, Master Mate", and he slightly fluffed "Mate" so it sounded more like "Bate".

Thinking of which, at my "minor public school", teachers were known as "masters" and the act of taunting or imitating a teacher was known as "baiting". Putting those two together was known as... well, I leave for you to work out! And, god's honest truth, we used the phrase without knowing what it meant ;-) The fifth- and sixth-formers once produced an alternative school magazine and there was a section called Master-bait which included fake biographies of thinly-described parodies of some of the masters. There wasn't a second edition of that magazine ;-)

Reply to
NY

Yes they have been disproved it was just some wag building it in as an urban myth. Its like the one about some famous chat show or tv host playing on Baker Street when it was the Lat Raf Ravenscroft, who did it for a session fee, though he was offered royalties but needed cash at the time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You did not need one though did you?

This is the sort of thing that went on only in Boys schools. I went to one and do wish it had been co-Ed but it was the norm when I was young.

Indeed the caricature in Pink Floyds, The Wall, was very accurate, where every master called the boys Laddie and seemed to adopt some pseudo Scottish accent when abusing the kids. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff