New timer extract fan in bathroom... 3 pole isolation required?

Is it obligatory to fit a 3 pole isolator when fitting a new replacement bathroom fan?

Reply to
Jim K...

I'd prefer it to come on with the light for normal operations, visitor understanding etc. There are pull cord 3 pole isolator switches than do as you describe, but also allow isolation....

Reply to
Jim K...

Thats a good idea, I was looking at 3 pole ceiling switches....

This

Suggests what you propose is ok (in2016 at least!) as long as it would be outwith Zones 0, 1 and 2....

Reply to
Jim K...

Are they scared of lofts?

Reply to
Jim K...

Ah! Jobs a good un then!

Reply to
Jim K...

Regardless of the answer, have you thought about just having a separate pull switch for the fan? That means you don't need an isolator switch and don't have the fan coming-on when you have a pee in the middle of the night. I did that (it also controlled a single light over the shower) in the previous house and all were pleased.

Reply to
nothanks

I put a DP SFCU outside the bathroom and a 2-way pull switch inside - I don't like automatic or semiautomatic things as they never do exactly as I want. Used 2-way so that I can add an additional timer if I wish - one that will time out, de-energise itself and then need only the single pull to come on again.

Reply to
PeterC

Normally yes.

Reply to
ARW

I notice most bathroom fan isolators are installed above the entrance. As my intention is to fit an inline fan in the loft is it acceptable to place the isolator beside the unit, it is just to avoid more wall chasing in an awkward place?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I think the regs say it has to all be done that way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you can't easily get at the fan to work on it without coming across the isolator I would think it is fully compliant. I am not an expert though.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That is what I did - prefer to have the switch inv view when cleaning the fan so someone else can't put the power back on.

Reply to
Geo

Mine is in the void of the suspended ceiling, right by the in-line fan and within inches of the hatch that is just big enough to do the work from standing in the cupboard below.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Naughty me. When I did this 30 plus years ago for an adjacent shower/loo I just wired the fan to the two lights with a simple single pole light switch. This is a fan inside the duct so not readily accessible.

Reply to
newshound

In your case next to the fan in the loft would be the preferred choice.

In fact I fitted on just inside a loft hatch a couple of months ago in a HMO for a wall mounted fan. This was a super quiet all time trickle with boost when the lights go on.

The owner did want the Polish and Moldavians messing with it.

Reply to
ARW

They do not have step ladders.

Reply to