Re: Simple ceiling light (removing)

I have a new simple/basic ceiling light fitting which I need to remove

> and fit a another. > It is a plastic "cover" 4 inch across and a bit lees than an inch > deep.With the bulb holder in the centre. > There are no visible screws.I tried ,by hand,to unscrew it - but it > would not move .I also tried to lever (gently) it off the ceiling but > it did not want to move. > How does it come off ? Thanks in advance for any hints.

Is that the sort with a sleeve around the bulb-holder which unscrews, allowing the main cover to drop off?

If not, turn off the mains and hit it with a big hammer. :-)

Roger.

Reply to
Old Fart at Play

i find gentle tapping with a screwdriver handle loosens them if not turn of at the mains and smack it with a hammer

loz

Reply to
LOZ34

Or leave the means on and ask somebody you dont like to hit it with a hammer.

-- Regards Martin

Reply to
Mart.C.

What's all this advice about turning the mains off before applying the hammer? Has this newsgroup suddenly become populated with the DIY nancy boys or something?

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

rubber wellies ;)

Steve

Reply to
StevieBoy

Turned off AND wearing rubber wellies? - LUXURY! We used to do it under power whilst stood in a bucket of brine. Richard

Reply to
Frisket

Was this to demonstrate that you were worth your salt?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmm, more likely to be under power and standing in a pool of urine. ;)

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Yes. They are chep. Smash it and get a new one. Turn power off first :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The hammer worked - taped it all round and it unsrewed. It did go in the bin.If her indoors had made her mind up before sparky went he could have fitted the new ones - this has only been up 2 weeks. Thanks for all your replies.

Reply to
raclyqm

Be aware of possibility ofslightly different diameters and screwholes in different places. resulting in bits of undecorated ceiling to be made good.

DG

Reply to
derek