Re: Rivets to repair pichfork

I should have added Im looking for 2" traditional rivets ( not pop) about 1/4 inch in diameter to secure a pitchfork head to a replacement shaft.

I'm not sure wether they are hard to find or I'm not describing them properly

Parts

Reply to
christopher

Try a couple of 6 inch nails sawn to the correct size and use a heavy ball pein hammer to rivet them on. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Would heating the piece of nail help?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Yes (gently), as they'll expand slightly, then contract on cooling. Be quick when riveting. You also need something hard and massive beneath to act as a dolly. Bricks will work, wooden bench won't.

You shouldn't need to heat them much, as most nails are fairly soft anyway. Attempting to heat them to forging temperature to make the riveting easier is going to char the wood and leave them loose.

One important point for riveting is to start with a ball pein hammer and to hit on-axis at first, so as to bulge the river head out, rather to try and mushroom it. Hitting it with the flat of the hammer to start with causes the head to form from the outside, leaving you with a thin edge full of cracks. Starting with the bulge gives a stronger head that forms from the inside. Final shaping uses the flat face.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I was going to suggest regular steel nails also. Have used them as rivets to repair head of shovel to handle, secure garden rakes etc. Big hammer, big lump of metal (Or an extremely large robust bench vise. But don't smash your vise!) to rest other end of rivet on! P. I was at a sale and left over unsold was a massive 'link' for attaching something. It must weigh 40 to 60 pounds. They gave it to me. Rarely use it but it's better than the old railway rail 'chair' that my dad used back in the 1950s!

Reply to
terry

Terry, I have a stupid question for you... :-)

How did the Canadians begin to spell what we would call a vice with an s instead of a c? And how do you spell the same word when used in the connection with prostitution and other aspects of crime?

Our family has relatives in both Canada and the USA and I know the languages are similar, but different. I have a keen interest in how the English language has changed over the years of emigration from this country.

Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think you'll find that it is us who have changed and the septics and porridge septics who have stood still

Reply to
geoff

That is certainly true with the word Fall. When the Pilgrim Fathers left, Autumn was known as Fall in England but, while their descendants have stuck with it, we have switched to Autumn.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Possibly through the French connection, French being spoken by many Canadians: vis (French) = screw (English). Some people refer to a standard vice as a *screw* vice.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I hear it as Autumn here in the US just as much as I hear Fall. It surprised me at first, but I've found many other cases where the lines are blurred between what's 'English' and 'American'.

Thankfully an angle grinder is an angle grinder no matter where you are ;)

Reply to
Jules

I can't disagree with that. I just thought that the Canadians would have kept up with us, not having thrown all that tea into the river :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That's an interesting fact.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for that as well.

RAOTFLMAO at you getting the angle grinder into this thread. That was a good one liner.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Many thanks for that, I hadn't considered the French influence.

Wife has met up and made friends with a couple who are into Scouting in Windsor, Ontario and Allan phoned me up to wish us happy thanks giving. I politely informed him that we didn't celebrate that over in the UK and that it was at a later date than the US celebrated it. They ring us up about 4 times a year.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That was my understanding, that spellings like color are the original

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Maybe or maybe not in this case.

The shorter Oxford has:

"Color has been used occas. in Eng. from xv [century] and is now the prevalent sp. in U.S."

I blame Webster myself who allegedly went out of his way to deliberately differentiate American English from our native tongue.

What is certainly the case is that some traditional usage lingers on in the US long after it went out of use in England. Gotten comes to mind as does the rank ensign. (Is ensign still in use?)

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Not quite. "American spellings" mostly arise from two sources: preservation of 17thC practice (the use of z in -ize) and Webster's much later attempts to "simplify" spellings. This is what pruned the double vowel spellings and lost the c/s noun/verb distinctions from licence & license.

There are also words like "levee" that came in as loan words from French (lev=E9e), but simply weren't needed in England and so didn't arrive until far later. Similarly for anything involving vast plains, buffalo and the rest.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't know about Ensign, but although I am English through and through, nobody will ever convince me that lieu is pronounced left as in lieutenant (phonetically leftenant). I defend the Americans on that one.

Reply to
Tinkerer

In message , Tinkerer writes

So, do you actually pronounce Towcester, Tow-cester ?

gonville and caius as gonville and kayus?

Learn properly - don't tinker ...

Reply to
geoff

I worked in Towcester for 23 years (and still shop there) and the USAians that rang up almost all said 'Toe-sester' - how would they pronounce Cogenhoe - or Kirkudbright?

Reply to
PeterC