Re: RFD uk.d-i-y

Ah, ok, sorry to folks of unnc!

You see - having just made such a nice soapbox I thought I ought to use it!!!

Mind at rest again (it's natural state).

thanks Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

I can't see there's a problem - if you do a Google group search for content "DIY" in groups uk* (what most newscomers might do to catch everything) you get it straight away. It also means it is found by people who actively want a DIY ng.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (IMHO).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Now that's hardly the spirit of diy is it? ;-)

Reply to
John Bean

Hi Andy,

This is that thread, probably. :-)

I don't mind if it's left as a single uk.d-i-y newsgroup. My point is that if, at some time in the future, the newsgroup is split, and possibly put under its `proper' uk.rec place, that the hyphens be dropped at the same time.

Dropping the hyphens alone isn't enough reason to do anything.

And, despite what someone said about it not being hard to find with Google, if I use a newsreader to search through all the newsgroups my newsservers know about for `diy' this one doesn't show up. And that's surely broken.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ralph Corderoy

I typed DIY into my news reader, and this group was not on the list.

Most people I know don't even know about Google Groups, and just assume Google is Google. (but they are the same people who don't know about usenet and newsreader software).

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

Damn, he got me! :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Well, (and at the risk of prolonging a pointless argument :o) ), if you just use the ordinary Google and search for "DIY newsgroup" you get it as well -

/duck /tongue-in-cheek it it not better to have some lower limits on the abilities of people coming on any ng? /untongue-in-cheek /unduck

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Well it does depend on where you type DIY into your newsreader! :-)

Reply to
usenet

| In uk.d-i-y Zapp Brannigan wrote: | > | > I typed DIY into my news reader, and this group was not on the list. | > | Well it does depend on where you type DIY into your newsreader! :-)

Lesson No 1 in computing. Two Short Planks have nothing on a Computer.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I can't see a parent to Ralph Corderoy's post, that was the first I can see in unnc.

If it were a real RFD then it would have been posted to unna (you do take unna, I assume? If not, you only have yourself to blame for not knowing what is actually being proposed).

No idea, but AFAICS there is /no/ official RFD about this.

No. Any RFD affecting uk.d-i-y, let alone a CFV or FT, will be posted to uk.net.news.announce and to uk.d-i-y. What this current thread is about I have no idea, it's the first I've heard of it.

Chris C

Reply to
Chris Croughton

This is not necessary since the content can be found quite easily by a search with any news client.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Google Groups is on a tab on the home page, not that it is that useful as a news reading method.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Only a very tiny number of 'net users know about News. The vast majority of people think the Internet is the Web.

Reply to
Huge

Apart from all the other reasons people have given not to change things; you should be aware that it's virtually impossible to kill off an ng once it's been created, especially an active one like this. So in practice you'd just get uk.d-i-y coexisting with your new group (and sundry others which already exist with a similar content) which would be far more confusing for everybody...

David

Reply to
Lobster

alt.the.uk.diy.newsgroup.is.called.uk.d-i-y anyone? ;o)

Reply to
Kim Andrews

I noticed that Message-ID: from Ralph Corderoy contained the following:

You'd have to create the new group, uk.rec.diy, and then rmgroup uk.d-i-y. The second bit may be tricky.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

nah. Alt.sheds.die.die.die more likely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except when you're in work, with no news server inside the firewall that doesn't much like nntp and only lookout as a client, with the relevant bits knackered anyway.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

How long ago was sci.electronics broken up and killed off?

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Can't it be done in one RFD? It would be a bit pointless otherwise.

Reply to
John Briggs