Re: RFD uk.d-i-y

me too [g]

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

As a daily reader of uk.d-i-y I would not offer support for such a proposal at this time. I am set firm against it.

Thanks for letting us know this was afoot, THAT was good form.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Wonder what non DIY gardening consists of?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

and

Many of the people who regularly post answers to uk.d-i-y have already made it plain that they would ignore any sub-groups if they were created.

It is far from the busiest group I subscribe to and I see no reason to divide it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"Jeeves! Have Smythe plant these daffodils in the Spring garden."

Reply to
S Viemeister

Its obvious from titles what each thread is about, by splitting the group you would just isolate peole into area where each query would recieve less than normal traffic.

However a group fpr IMM alone might be an improvement.

uk.d-i-y.chips.on.my.shoulder or something.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Paying a man called Mellors?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah. It would be a low traffic group then?

Apart from things like deck and fence construction there's virtually no gardening questions on here at the moment - not surprising considering there are already plenty of gardening groups.

I'd add my voice to the 'why bother' group - this one isn't too big to handle, and the diversity of subject makes it a more enjoyable read.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

uk.diy.anti-physics

Reply to
Simon Gardner

That sounds scary. I think it would have to be phased in.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I noticed that Message-ID: from Christian McArdle contained the following:

Oh definitely. Lorries and buses one week, cars and vans the next.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

I agree.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's how the Swedes did it back in IIRC the 50's. At midnight they stopped driving on the left and started driving on the right. If you were on the road at the time you were supposed to pull over at 5 to the hour and not move again until 5 past.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

I agree with all that Andy has pointed out, and my opinion is also that this should be left as a single group.

Splitting this into a number of subgroups would lead to a lot of queries being cross posted. We are currently very fortunate in that the number of spam and abusive messages is small - other groups have significant problems with such messages, and they are often cross posted to 3 or more groups. I use a filter called NewsProxy to remove anything cross posted to more than 3 groups, and if uk.d-i-y was to split then I would be faced with either losing utility in this powerful tool against spam, or missing posts which might otherwise have been of interest to me.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

I don't think it could be done now. Too many road signs and carefully designed junctions that just don't work backwards.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I was going to suggest odd numbered number plates one week and even numbers the next, but I suppose it'll do.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's the solution! we change the side of the road you drive on, but everyone drives in reverse! that is just brilliant Christian. I suggest you get onto the dept for transport right away.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Absolutely. As the OP said "uk.d-i-y is a very successful group". The very

*last* thing you want to do with a very successful group is b*gg*r it about. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

A large fraction of the ng audience lurks waiting for something they are interested in, or know about, to come up, when they can contribute. Hardly any of these will bother to browse 6 (or more) separate newsgroups. You run the very high risk of replacing one successful newsgroups with 6 that never maintain enough critical mass to survive and which (if they do survive) are the preserve of almost private conversations between a very limited number of people.

As to the name change, if it were a new ng, uk.rec.d-i-y would probably be appropriate. As it isn't and is successful and has an identity, leave it alone is my vote.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Easy. Stay on the same side of the road we're on now, just drive backwards.

!detroS

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Harper