Re: Presents for toddlers.

The other 'must' is lots of indelible felt pens.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We suffered a lot from presents from sister-in-law to our two.

She has somewhat unexpectedly had a baby...revenge in a year or three!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I hear they're re-launching the Stylophone.....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Juxtapositioned wrote in :

It does seem a bit potty. We put a few holes in the bottom, using a hole punch.

Reply to
Penny Gaines

Christian McArdle wrote in :

When we were in Brio mode, we used to find that most compatibles were compatable with Brio itself, but not with other compatables. Unfortunately for us, the Thomas-the-Tank-Engine trains of the time, were not from Brio, so they kept getting stuck in tunnels - and not just James.

Reply to
Penny Gaines

Two guess come to mind...

NiCd's can deliver enough current to start a fire when shorted out (possibly if toy was broken). Many years ago in the days of pagers before mobile phones existed, someone I knew walked into something. Some seconds later, he ended up with a burned leg where the crushed pager was trying to set light to his trousers.

NiCd's have nasty chemicals. You probably don't want to be eating any batteries, but I would imaging NiCd's could be particularly nasty.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Juxtapositioned wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@email1.xeno-technology.com:

. The packaging

My guess might be that rechargeables can turn nasty if shorted, overheat, they say possibly explode, due to the low internal resistance; and who knows what a toddler mught do.

I know this is true, found it out by putting a rechargeable 9V in trouser pocket with a bunch of keys - got burnt.

mike r

if I had a brain I'd be dangerous

Reply to
mike ring

You're not the only one who's found out battery plus keys OR change in pocket leads to odd, then painful, sensations...

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

No problem with the drum ours have, ELC jobbie and a decent tone. Of course the other thing about a drum is they have to wave their arms about and they get tired...

A trumpet (with a reed, I don't think a toddler could manage a real trumpet) just needs to be placed in the mouth and normal breathing does the rest and being a reed won't sound nice.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Juxtapositioned writes

This site is wonderful :

day, I'll actually try some of his ideas. Possibly :-) He does seem to have quite a range of power tools, though.

Reply to
Graeme

We have a "James the Red Engine" though it's not really a James. This has a Brio badge and is likewise pretty powerful, it will pull a good

18 or so wagons, carriages and other engines on the level and have a damn good try over bridges as well.

Got some of ELCs that is a bit stiff, maybe two or three peices, keep forgeting to get the sandpaper out.

Ah that depends what your trying to do. A simple passing loop or two tracks with platforms works better with the Y's rather than points. Points are better for general loops and layouts. Play with the Brio? Who me?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Anything recommended by UK.D-I-Y's own toddler - IMM - will be perfect.

I think his last recommendation was the 'Bumper book of How Things Work'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

: >3) A wooden railway-track like thing, which would presumably : >be easy to make out of beech. How to cut the jigsaw-like : >connecters between sections, though?? Some wheeled things to : >push around the track. : >

: Brio railway? Tesco do a much cheaper version of this (and it's : compatible with Brio). : -- : Tim Mitchell : with 2 toddlers.

I bought the Tesco one and think it's great value. However my kids were 18 months and 3 yrs then and they didn't play with it until this year - 3 and 4.5 when they started. The older one plans out the track, which a toddler isn't great at, and the younger pushes stuff round it. OK pressie if you do the setup for the toddler. Got a few years in it.

Reply to
Suz

: The other 'must' is lots of indelible felt pens. :

Or washable pens. Washable? Hah!

Reply to
Suz

Pens and children, a wonderful mix.

James Hart

makes this picture..... :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

sister being mauled by big sister, yours was much worse than ours!

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

I have seen Thomas Tank Engine ones in ELC. An engine is about £20, or £25 if it has a tender. Non powered engines are £10, or £15 with a tender. The battery powered one we have is die cast metal.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

All batteries have nasty chemicals. A battery is basically a nasty chemical between 2 different metal plates.

NiCds are worse for the environment than NiMh, and disposable ones are worse than NiCd because of the number of them you will use.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Toys for toddlers have a screw down battery compartments to stop them getting in.

I also don't let the kids see me change the batteries.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith