Re:OT Washing Powder for thoes with sensitive skin

I had the same problem and I used to end up with an itchy red rash. I tried various powders and the Persil non-biological tablets were the best for my sensitive skin. These tablets are put in the drum not in the tray. Only one tablet per wash. I go along with what the others have said. Make sure the tray is clean including any dried on powder. Change or clean the filter often and depending on how often the machine is used, put it through the hottest wash you can manage with the drum empty. That is what works for me

Alan

Reply to
Roberts

I'm sure I read a report to the effect that now many people are washing at less than 40c a lot of nasties that would otherwise have been killed off are now surviving. Could these be another cause of skin rashes. I always wash towels and bedding at 60c.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is the use of calgon-type tablets in the wash. These reduce the amount of detergent you need in hard water areas. I buy the bulk non branded version from Lidl for half the price of the Calgons and they seem to work just as well.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

I wouldn't be surprised - I do towells, flannels, oven gloves and teatowells once a fortnight at 95C - added advantage is the local drains branch gets a good sluice through which keeps the fat and bug residues down from the kitchen sink.

I've been using Persil Non Bio for years and it seems to not upset my kids sensitive skin (bio did). I also have the machine set for extra rinses.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thats a good point re the sluicing. One old bird I did some work for complained that the washing machine was always smelly and must be a probIem with the drains. The washer drained into p-trap with upstand. It stunk. I told her to do a 95c wash every month. She washed everything at 40c. The drawer was covered in black mould too, yet she was otherwise very houseproud.

In the same way as I say a good dosing of domestos down the loo and plugholes helps keep the pipes clean and slick.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

I find the stink and headache fumes from drying washing usually means nobody has bothered to empty the filter, and basically no rinsing is therfeore taking place. Certainly on the occasions when *I* want to wash anything I always find the filter blocked...

Incidentally, why do some washing powders leave whole neighbourhoods smelling of dead rats: and why on earth do people wash stuff in something that smells of dead rats?

Spamlet