Bosch dishwasher powder compartment problem

I have a problem with our Bosch SHV4313GB/17 dishwasher that I was wondering if anybody knows how to fix please. It's 7 years old and up until now has always worked well. The problem is with the sliding door of the powder/tablet compartment. Like many Bosch and similar models, this is spring loaded and is supposed to spring open at the appropriate point in the cleaning cycle (presumably due to the hot water expanding the plastic and releasing the catch?). Only now it's stopped doing so and doesn't open at all during the cycle. I cleaned around the door removing what little powder gunge there was, but it's still not opening. Any ideas how to fix please?
TIA...Nick.
--
Nick Challoner snipped-for-privacy@rubbish.challoner.com
Aviation photography: http://www.challoner.com/aviation

Not hi-jacking but adding to the thread, I also have a Bosch dishwasher powder compartment problem but in my case the sliding door is increasingly unwilling to stay closed & frequently opens as the main door clicks shut and throws the tablet onto the floor of the dishwasher underneath the lower basket.
I've assumed so far that the answer will be to replace the mechanism (presumably involves taking the front of the door off - is replacement possible/easy?) but it hasn't got to the point where I need to fix it yet.
Is this mechanism really necessary? Could the tablet not just be left sitting on top of something in the top basket?
--
Si

having just bought a bosch dishwasher I was interested to note that the mechanism to release the powder/tablet is identical to the one in our 10 year old hotpoint (dead), this one was replaced under warranty after 4 years FOC (hotpoint man had to call to sort out our new washer/dryer) so no call out charge, 3 years later it started playing up again(as the door was shut) and for the last 3 years we put the tablet on the corner the cutlery tray - this seemed to work quite well, I assume that the water spray knocked it in to the base where it was meant to go
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 18:25:37 +0100, Si wrote

I think on my Bosch, it does a cold rinse first (presumably to get rid of all the water-soluble gunk) and then the hot cycle when the powder compartment opens. So I think if you just placed the tablet in the main wash area most of it would get washed away in the first cycle.
--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

I've had intermittent problems with our, and concluded it was the way we shut the cover! But if yours doesn't work at all, I suspect the solenoid has stuck or failed.
You need to (having unplugged from mains) remove the inner side of the door. All will be exposed to view, and you can check/test/clean as appropriate.

Ahh, ok I'll try dismantling the door. I've had success fixing washing machines and tumble dryers in the past, but the dishwasher looks quite tricky to get into (especially as it's a build-in model with matching kitchen door and draw-front attached to the front of it :-|
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, this is such a good group.
I do want to fix it, because rightly or wrongly I like to use seperate powder, rinse-aid and salt rather than tablets (rightly I'm sure in the case of the salt, less so perhaps for the powder and rinse aid). I did think of just bunging the powder in at the start, but the two programs I use most (the 65deg C ones) have a pre-wash first which obviously drains before the wash cycle, so obviously most of the powder would disappear at that point. Interesting to hear the tablets would survive the pre-wash, but I don't mind trying to fix it (or even getting a pro in if not) because other than this it's been trouble free for 7 years and I expect it to carry on for a good few years yet.
...Nick.
PS Lobster I'll be in touch if there's anything salvageable!
--
Nick Challoner snipped-for-privacy@rubbish.challoner.com
Aviation photography: http://www.challoner.com/aviation
In uk.d-i-y, Nick Challoner wrote:

If your Bosch is anything like ours, the "appropriate point in the cleaning cycle" is right at the beginning. I wouldn't bother fixing that problem, I'd just leave the compartment open. You could try it and see if it makes any difference to the cleaning performance.
--
Mike Barnes

Mike Barnes wrote:

Dunno about that - on ours you can hear the clunk of it opening about 5 mins after you switch on. Not sure what goes on during that time - prewash/preheat or something? Does it drain (and take out soapy water if the soap has been discharged?)
The compartment/cover is quite a complex bit of gubbins - would they really have fitted it if it was totally superfluous?
I wouldn't bother fixing that

Gotta be worth a go!
David
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 18:34:44 UTC, Lobster

I always thought it did a pre-rinse first, then pumped and refilled, then dropped the powder in.
We don't use tablets as they're expensive and unnecessary IMO. Salt is cheap in bulk, and powder is too (in bulk from CPC!)
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:34:44 GMT, Lobster

It was invented in the days when dishwasher dertergents were powders and if the powder was just put into to the wash compartment it would have gone down the drain before the main wash started if the machine did a pre-wash or rinse.
The first machine we had had a compartment for detergent for the main wash, but the detergent for the pre-wash was just put in a pile on the inside of the door near the bottom.
I believe today the tablets we have dissolve at a controlled rate so they can do pre-wash, main wash, and rinse all in one tablet. Whilst softening the water at the same time. :-)
DG

That accords with my experience. I accidentally let the machine run a Pre-Wash having put a tablet in. The tablet had been released and was sitting on the bottom, minimally corroded.
--
Si

Derek Geldard wrote:

But they don't leave the Mrs' hands as soft as her face like mild green fairly liquid does.
Owain
In uk.d-i-y, Derek Geldard wrote:

In this house dishwasher detergents still are powders. I see those boxes of tablets at several times the price of powders and wonder why anybody buys them.
--
Mike Barnes

I only buy them when they're BOGOF.
--
Si

I buy powder (industrial strength) for about 2 quid a kilogram.

Where from? We wouldn't need anything with salt in as we've got a softener. (Problem here is that SWMBO is emphatic about using the main brand name. :(
--
Si

CPC!
http://www.cpc.co.uk
Of course, there's a min order charge but then I buy from them all the time.
In uk.d-i-y, Si wrote:

Sainsbury's online has own-brand powder at 5.49 for 3 kg, which works out at 4.5p per 25g dose. The cheapest tablet (Finish All In One x42 Introductory offer 5.00) works out at 11p per dose: nearly two and half times as much.

That's a bit of a problem: I don't think the leading brands *do* powder any more (not enough money in it), so you can't even buy a container of (say) Finish powder for refilling with Sainsbury's.
--
Mike Barnes

To make a fair comparison, one would also have to include the costs of rinse aid and salt, although the cost of the latter is not significant unless you buy the small packages of dishwasher salt rather than 25kg bags. Finish Rinse Aid at 1.70 for 250ml. If that covers 50 washes, which is generous, that's another 3.5p per wash, plus salt, say 4p. So really the comparison is more like 9p vs 11p.
Don't forget also that there's around 10-15p in electricity cost per cycle as well plus depreciation (average 400/5 yr/1 load a day) = 33p a wash.
Then the saving is really 2p in 44p or about 4.5%.
Ergo, if you really want to save money, the way to do it is not to have a dishwasher at all.

Tsk. I'd have thought that you were the last person to ignore the elephant in the kitchen; the cost of your time. :o)
--
"Religion poisons everything."
[email me at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]