Smell from antique furniture

Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I think) it
smells old as it should do and thats how they like it.
The have been keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems to
cling to the contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?
Reply to
Scabbydug
Thought you said they like it smelling old? you could try bees waxing the drawers inners? You sure its not wood rot? careful examination the chest and drawers for tiny spors will be apparent if it is.
Reply to
George
Probably had camphor or mothballs in it since it was made.
Rubbing the inside with talcum powder, particularly a smelly one can help
Reply to
EricP
=================================== Sprinkle liberally with baking powder (bicarbonate of soda) making sure you get the powder into any cracks or crevices. Leave for a few days and then vacuum thoroughly.
Cic.
Reply to
Cicero
(a) deodorising cat litter (b) if something has impregnated the wood, and it's not an antique, lightly sanding the interior surfaces before adding cat litter may help.
Owain
Reply to
Owain
Thanks to all who have responded, the baking powder idea seems like the sort of traditional solution that they would like.
Reply to
Scabbydug
The message from "Scabbydug" contains these words:
I don't know if it would work with 'furniture smells' but my mother used to cut an onion in half and place it in the corner of a newly-decorated room, to absorb the smell of the paint... might be worth a try?
Reply to
Anne Jackson
================================== But both contain the active ingredient, bicarbonate of soda / sodium bicarbonate.
Cic.
Reply to
Cicero
Not these days. Used to be bicarb with citric acid (aka bath bomb), but can now be sodium phosphate IIRC. I guess they thought it might explode on the shelves. Just buy the bicarb at any supermarket
Reply to
Stuart Noble

Site Timeline Threads