Re: Odd-sized internal doors solution?

Make your own from scratch. 18 mm Plywood sheets are quite reasonably priced, and when you use one as the door size and cut the rest to give you the look of cross beams and uprights, they look like solid doors. Fill the panel effect with some moulding timbers and you have made to measure doors.

Just a suggestions, but it looks good on our bathroom door which is a very unusual size.

Reply to
BigWallop

I have six horrible internal doors that I want to replace.

> Unfortunately they are a mixture of sizes - the 30-odd quid > internal doors you can get from the big sheds are nowhere > near the correct sizes (e.g. one doorframe is 2.16m high). > I investigated custom-made doors, was quoted 450 quid each. > No way! > > So here's a possible solution, given that I'm looking for > a traditional panelled door look, but have accepted that > I'll have to paint them ... buy big door blanks, cut/plane > to size, fit modest mouldings to approximate the look of > panels. Anyone out there ever tried this?

Why are these doors "horrible"? Can't you salvage them?

I made doors for my current house - 4-panel ones + 1 bi-fold. It's just a matter of getting some 3/8" (9mm) ply, some 4x1 1/2 (metric whatnot) or similar timber, routing out (small electric router or hand tool OK) along one edge of framing, cutting lengths, mortice & tenon (poss. through pins), loose assemble, measure up ply panels, glue up and assemble (two cheap sash cramps needed), pin on mouldings (buy/make with router or plane), hang, paint.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

As Lee says, it might be easier to pull out the frames and put new ones in - at least they'll be square and you should be able to slot a new door straight in, more or less.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks very much for replies so far.

I like the idea of making the doors up from scratch. However, I'd be concerned about warping with the "big sheet of plywood" approach, so I'd probably prefer doing it properly. Hmmmm. I must admit that time is a real issue for me at the moment too, so the flat door + mouldings approach is still looking attractive, even though the end result would be less than ideal.

I won't be taking the door frames out - the

101-year-old original architraves, skirtings etc. are the best things about my flat.

Someone asked what was so wrong with the present doors - imagine the worst frosted-glass, cheapo early 70's efforts in shocking condition and you're there. Every fibre of my being (and I've put on weight recently) is offended at the sight of them.

Reply to
John Andrews

Good stuff, you probably got enough left over for serving hatch door and letter box flap too! ;O)

Bye now! Slowbloke

Reply to
Slowbloke