Re: good price for deWalt cordless drill with 13mm chuck?

I'll bet 1000 quid it's not true.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not much. The Makita "120 SDS is about the only decently priced Makita kit.

I have had no need to use their service agent. They must have one as Wickes sell the stuff.

Reply to
IMM

Of course he does. No European country can compete with China on price for manufacturing this sort of thing - only a fool would think it could.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well...... I have quite a number of PC tools purchased at various times in the U.S. All have country of manufacture on them which is mainly U.S., some Taiwan and a couple PRC. Nothing from Germany.

They may be doing some level of final assembly with sufficient content to meet the EU rules on product content/country of origin, but it can't be more than that. Kress have their assembly plant in Bisingen in Baden- Wurttemburg. This is not a low cost area by any means and certainly not a development area either.

It is quite common to build a factory in the EU and claim local manufacture, but it doesn't mean a lot. For example IBM "makes" notebook PCs in Scotland and Dell in Ireland. Of course, they are simply doing final integration and test there, but by managing transfer pricing can claim EU manufacture.

The alternative is to manufacture where grants etc. can be obtained (e.g. Makita in Telford) so that the overheads are relatively small.

As a matter of interest, I took a look at Wickes "Professional" tool range in one of their stores last week. Some of them are reasonable in comparison with the junk that B&Q sells, but they are nowhere near on a par with the professional products of the global name brands. I also looked at the labels. Not one had a country of origin on it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Of course.

Let's see now. Notice on side of building - Home Improvement Centre.

No more than at B&Q.

It may do for you.

It may be for you, but that does not mean that that is the case for everybody else.

So answer the question.........

Actually they are. Take a look at the usual suppliers such as Axminster, Rutlands Tools,...........

There is very little advertising by power tool manufacturers in the magazines (at least the woodworking ones).

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You must have bought the cheap ones.

You are making things up again. You should stop this. It is for your own good.

I disagree and so would many solid tradesmen I know.

The information counter will look up the OEM for you. Wickes re-badge Halstead boilers. Halstead do the service. Talking to them, the cheaper DIY black range is not repaired, they just replace the whole unit or refund. They repair the grey pro range, as they send them away. If the dealer is near to you, you could probably save a day and take it yourself,

Reply to
IMM

Inside?

and?

You are making this up again.

and 99% of humanity.

It is for 99% of humanity.

It does.

What one was that?

So, had a look then. That is better, as it is better than making things up.

There is in others.

Reply to
IMM

Who are these main dealers ? Wickes most certainly will NOT supply parts for their rebadged versions.

Reply to
G&M

Do you really think I'd do that?

Each to their own....

But where are the dealers?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What has he made up. I had one of these monstrosities - it made a PPPoo look good. And when it eventually died - fortunately just within the warranty period despite me desperately avoiding using it at all costs - they had to send it back before it was declared unserviceable, then I had to return to the store to get my refund. Not a happy experience !

Reply to
G&M

Do you mean you don't have the intelligence to find a Kress dealer? My oh ,my.

Reply to
IMM

Ok - if you don't mind us checking you know your own cars, which gearbox is in the 1966 Mini Cooper ? (Hint - the Haynes manual is wrong)

Reply to
G&M

Was it a Kress or are you making this up?

Reply to
IMM

Unfortunately here you are right. They didn't use to be but nowadays I try to avoid them unless there's a real technical advantage like their jigsaws.

Reply to
G&M

No, just the motivation.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

All Coopers had beefed up transmissions to cope with the extra power and I think were derived from the Morris 1100 as they came out in the same year. I do believe the driveshaft coupling at the engine were uprated too. Many of those who uprated Mini's found out quite quickly that it was not just a beefier engine when the drives went.

I once dropped a Morris 1100 engine and transmission into a Mini. You needed the gearings to cope with the smaller wheels. Now that was beefier.

Reply to
IMM

Of course.

Laid out like a retail store.

DIY grade tools with price promotions..

Rack of pamphlets on how to DIY various jobs.

Garden section

Hmmmmm.......

Could it be a DIY store?

yawn.

Oh jeez.

I can remember many years ago, buying a multimeter that was made in Russia. It seemed reasonably solid, boring grey, although the Cyrillic manual was challenging. The battery inside was grey with a red star on it and had a very short lifetime. The meter didn't last a lot longer.

The meter came from the only manufacturer of meters and the battery from the only manufacturer of batteries. In their environment, they could get away with that because the thinking was that people didn't need a choice.

Now why did this experience suddenly come to mind here?

Where is it?

I don't look at many others

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Never seems to stop you though...

Reply to
John Rumm

Stop making things up. 99% of humanity does not even have access to electricity, clean water, or enough food. Can't see power tools being that close to the top of the shopping list!

Reply to
John Rumm

That's the key thing - yep. And as you said, home-build 'Cooper's' usually didn't last the week.

Reply to
G&M