Re: good price for deWalt cordless drill with 13mm chuck?

They are. They grey line. Ask at the desk and they will tell you the OEM.

A big difference.

They have two SDS machine. One under £100. The one around £120-130 is excellent. They also sell a battery SDS too. (Kress).

Go to a Kress dealer, who sell the full Kress range. BMJ Power were dealers, but I think they have been bought up. Send an email to Kress they will tell you the dealers.

Reply to
IMM

The issue is over ownership of manufacturing plants or at the very least resident quality control.

To you maybe not. The issue is one of having the size and resources to invest in engineering, manufacturing, quality control and service. This is dependent on the size and average pricing relative to the market being addressed.

That certainly makes no difference at all. Wickes is a warehousing operation just like any other home improvement store. The only kind of "service" they can provide is refund, which they have to do by law anyway

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why bother when you can buy a Makita, Bosch, DeWalt,... etc. tool anywhere, know that it is good quality and that the manufacturer will provide the service and spares through multiple outlets.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You are confused. They make very good power tools that are as good as the best, yet don't charge silly prices.

neither to anyone else who wants a power drill.

Stop making things up.

Reply to
IMM

NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway. No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

Andy Hall wrote:

Ah, but you can't do that. Well, you can *buy*, of course, but those names are not always synonymous with good quality, and service/spares are not always (ever?) worth bothering with. I'm not saying Kress are good, though, I've no experience of *their* stuff.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Silly money for most of its range and unsuoitable for occassional DIY.

Both overpriced 3rd rate stuff.

Buy a Wickes/Kress (Wickes are generally cheaper than Kress dealers for the same tool) and you have top quality, good service and still have lots of money in your pocket.

Reply to
IMM

Why not? Why don't they charge as much as DeWalt and Makita? Is it because they are kind hearted? Do they have a very charitable business model? Are they a not-for-profit operation?

Reply to
Grunff

I don't know as I don't run the company, so why are you asking me? Toyotas are more reliable and better built than BMW, yet they don't charge silly money either. Ask them why too. The point still remains: "They make very good power tools that are as good as the best, yet don't charge silly prices." That is simple to understand.

Reply to
IMM

Not in the least. You are compring apples and pears.

If what you say were true, Makita, DW and Bosch would have zero market share and these various OEM products would dominate it. That is not the situation.

OK, so please provide the phone number and address of Wickes spares and support organisation.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I comparing apples with apples. Even the two US carpenters use Kress (Porter and C?)

Toyota and Honda make the most reliable and cost effective autos, yet don't have 90% of the market, so that line doesn't count.

Ring Wickes. or buy the tool and they give the service agents a tel no.

Reply to
IMM

Not this again... You've already proved you know nothing about cars, so leave the subject alone.

Quality and driving experience aside, Toyota prices are actually not very different from BMW if you compare similar spec cars.

Nonsense. It is a business. If they could sell their stuff for twice as much, they would. If it really was as good as you say, people would pay, including me.

Reply to
Grunff

I think you lost the plot. The original question related to DW, and was for professional use.

What is it about Makita that makes it unsuitable for occasional DIY? If their products are suitable for professional use, then they will certainly handle DIY perfectly adequately.

Where are all these Kress dealers?

There is nothing wrong with relatively small German manufacturers. For example, Fein, Festo and Metabo all make excellent products. However, they are not cheap and it is not just because of margin. These are quite widely distributed as well.

I don't find Kress in any of the tool catalogues (I have a shelf load of them) or on web sites, which suggests that their business is mainly OEM.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I know more about vehicles than what you will ever know, but that is by the way. All auto organisations put the Japs above pricy German stuff. If you "know" about cars, you would know that.

Stop making things up.

< snip tripe >
Reply to
IMM

Well, I can only comment on my experience of use and service related to all of those brands which I've found always to be excellent.

DW and Makita especially have good spares backup at prices that do make repair worthwhile when it is eventually needed, which IME is not for a very long time.

Also, if I've paid good money for a tool and it does have a problem, I am in a much better position in terms of consumer legislation to squeeze the retailer. I have done that on a couple of occasions. I would rather pay more for a tool and have good use, accuracy and comfort as well as backup, rather than penny pinching on purchase and having to mess around with time wasting returns and poor quality products. Overall, this costs more in time (and by implication, money) so I prefer to go the professional branded tools route almost always.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Exactly. Kress only make a pro stuff. The OP never mentioned makita either.

The silly prices, when other cheaper makes aimed at DIYers suffice.

Except the DIYers pocket.

Email Kress. Also Wickes is one of a sorts.

Not as much as Kress.

To prestigious US brands.

Reply to
IMM

Says Toyota man...

Really, what do you drive? Dying to know. Is it a combi? Do PPPoo make cars?

Reply to
Grunff

From personal experience Bosch is the pits.

Reply to
IMM

A Mini Cooper and an Aston Martin DB6.

Reply to
IMM

In another thread, at another time, an alter-ego did have an Avensis IIRC.... Toyota makes those I think, don't they?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Bosch blue range is actually extremely good. The green range is not a pro range, but is still not bad at all, very good value I have several tools from each of the ranges.

Bosch spares are however quite pricey, so that's one point where I agree.

Reply to
Grunff