Re: Fitting an electric shower? How hard?

???

Hard enough that I wouldn't want to use one that an amateur had installed. Electricity, water ... .not a good combination.

Reply to
pete

Thought that might be the case. Appox price to get one fitted?

Reply to
paulfoel

High wattage - heavy current - regulations - HIPS - etc

No way.

Reply to
John

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember pete saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not very, but you need to know what you are doing. There is also the matter of Part P.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

worst part is running cables and doing it all properly.

Safe enough if you abide by the rules.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would be easier if there were shower units to fit in the roof space (above the shower) - or under the bath - then making a neat and safe job of the wiring and plumbing would not be such an issue. It would also aid replacement as typically when you have cut cables, routed pipes and done tiling you cannot easily change the unit when it expires (as they do). They 'should' also be cheaper as they wouldn't need to be cosmetically attractive - or splash proof.

Reply to
John

John wibbled on Friday 23 April 2010 15:47

There are. I saw some a few months back on the web. I *think* it might have been mentioned here - try a google withing the last 12 months on this group.

Reply to
Tim Watts

John wibbled on Friday 23 April 2010 14:56

It wouldn't be something I'd fancy doing as a first foray into wiring. But if you are competent (ie have done good work in other areas of wiring), can read the regs and the OnSite and have a means to test the circuit and the supply, there's no reason why not.

But a "newbie" would be better starting with something simpler. 6mm2 and

10mm2 cable are as stiff as gits, plus considering the cable route and fighting with a shower cable + pipes in a tight space is going to be one of the harder jobs one might do.

HIPs don't have much to do with anything now, apart from the EA bollocks. The question might arise on the solicitors questionnaire though.

The real question is not "will I get done for doing this". The right question is "can I do this safely such that I would not be afraid for an expert to critique what I have done and do I appreciate what knowledge I will need".

Trouble with Nanny is She encourages the wrong thinking.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not actually an electric shower, but may be of interest if there is a loft above with hot and cold supplies available

Toby

> Toby...

...and here is the electric version

Toby

Toby wibbled on Friday 23 April 2010 17:55

>>> Toby...

That was the one I was thinking of - very good idea.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There are devices available. It makes the plumbing a little harder, and the wiring about the same though.

Yup - good from that point of view ciertainly.

One can hope - but alas no since they have nothing like the market.

Reply to
John Rumm

. That just got me thinking!

Back ground: The last update to the bathroom this 40+ year old house, was some five years or so. The main work comprised installing a fiberglass bath/shower unit in place of the previous metal bath tub and surround. The new unit had to be 3 piece that we assembled inside. Because a one piece unit one, as typically installed in new homes couldn't be fitted through the house and then through the bathroom door. Our bathroom is in centre of the house; no window etc. (Quite often with new construction one sees the single fiberglass bath unit being taken in through the as yet uninstalled large front window opening, before all partitions are installed! They are that large and cumbersome!)

If ever building new (unlikely) would install a single piece f.glass unit and try and install along an out side wall etc. so that when after some 30 to 40 years it could more easily be replaced.

Anyway. If an 'Electric Shower' is contemplated (even the name makes one shiver .................... the words electric and shower i.e. water just DON'T seem to go together, do they?), there is sufficient space above our bath/shower unit to install some extra equipment such as the instant hot water heater, which one gathers can consume 9 kilowatts or some 40 amps! For the short periods they are on? Or 'spare' space is occupied by a small amount of wiring to a light installed in the roof/ceiling of the bath/shower unit and two speakers so as to listen to the radio or internet broadcasts while showering/ shaving etc. Hot water being available from the electrically heated central 120 litre (40 US gallon) hot water tank/cylinder a short distance away in the basement, which has two 230 volt 3 kilowatt heaters arranged 'flip-flop' with upper and lower tank thermostats.

Idea anyway.

Reply to
terry