Re: Englander Kleinempfanger

> I always associate Morphy Richard with pop-up toasters.

> > > Now there is a collectable old valve radio known in the trade as the "toaster" because > > of its styling, model FB10, disappointingly it was made by KB :-) > > What! so it doesn't actually make toast? > > At least if they made a digital radio/toaster, then it might be of some > use to some people ;-) > > Although I think I'd prefer to stick to using a normal toaster. :-) > > Richard E.

Dualit make DAB radio's that look like their toasters, but not a combined appliance... :-)

could gut a radio and a toaster, and put the innards of one in the other...

I'm waiting for Numatic to bring out a 'Henry' radio, otherwise you could customise this:

this:

alexander.keys1

In article ,

Ah! "Henry's Radio" - the shop where the Edgware Road Flyover is now.

Reply to
charles

Really? It was a few hundred yards north of the flyover when I was last in the area, a while back.

30 years ago in my student days, half the shops in that area were like Henry's Radio - it's the sole survivor of them. Also Proops and a few others in Tottenham Court Road, all long since gone too.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Shame they are all gone, I was first introduced to that type of shop by my father in approx 1946, I went with him to a shop in Liverpool I cannot remember the name, it was 200yds up from the Adelphi, on the right hand side of Brownlow hill, he purchased an R1155 receiver there, happy days. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

Actually, on a visit to Lincoln in May, I passed such a shop - it was shut and I didn't have the time to investigate.

Reply to
charles

On Sunday, August 8th, 2010 at 19:14:15 +0100, Donwill explained:

Nowadays obliterated by an NCP multi-storey parking garage?

The only type of store remaining like this in Liverpool is presumably Progressive Radio in Dale Street?

Reply to
J G Miller

Memories of when Watford Electronics was a converted terraced house down Vicarage road

Reply to
geoff

been there

Reply to
charles

and Lasky's and J W Smith of Lisle street

Reply to
Phister

On Steep Hill? There are two shops there opposite each other, one's a store for the other. Fantastic place, just like the real old surplus places used to be. Best part is talking to the people in there - there were odd groups restoring all manner of things in odd hangars around Lincolnshire

I was last there last year (bought as much as I could carry) and I'm looking forward to going back in a few weeks (the Steampunk weekend at The Lawns). I might take a wheelbarrow!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

J Birkett's of course ... fond memories of spending pocket money on LM741s, NE555s and LEDs

Reply to
Andy Burns

Anyone remember Technical Trading at 10 Tottenham Court Road? (near the bottom, on the west side). And their big adverts on page 3 of Parctical Wireless, etc. for Reconditioned valves?

I was the valve reconditioner...Saturday job in Brighton at their big underground warehouse.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How the hell do you "recondition" a valve? At least, without glass blowing skills and a damn good vacuum pump!

Reply to
Huge

Exactly.

1) Heat the electrodes up using an HF coil round the envelope, to re- ignite what's left (if any) of the getter; makes it reasonably 'hard' again, at least long enough to sell it.

2) Test using Mullard valve tester.

3) Clean off all old markings.

4) Print type number and TT logo on side.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And like we used to do with CRT's burn the heater up a bit ;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Me too. Bought my first PCB drill there.

Reply to
Adrian C

I used to spend many schoolboy hours looking at those ads and the GWS catalogue dreaming about what I'd buy if I only had money.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

There will now be a 2 minutes silence during which time those who want to sniffle in their hankies may do so ...

Reply to
geoff

yes.

Reply to
charles

In article , geoff scribeth thus

Awww.. Remember those days, buying Practical Wireless AKA Camm's comic and saving up for the parts writing off the Tottenham court road or similar with the postal order, waiting for the delivery and the excitement of making that new design and then the despair of it not working;(..

I wish I'd have kept some of the radio receiver projects as with the test equipment and know how I have now to see if they could have worked anyway;>>

still yoof of today dunno what they've missed etc;!....

Reply to
tony sayer