Interesting experience with lithium batteries

Just to avoid any doubt this post is about non-rechargeable lithium cells, not lithium ion.

Inspired by the longevity of a pair of smoke detectors that were supplied with lithium 9V batteries I wondered if other low consumption devices around the house would benefit.

As Sainsburys were offering a pack of four lithium AA cells for about the same price as four branded alkaline, I bought a pack and tried a pair in my Celect programmable wireless thermostat (COR908WHB-3-RF/B) It did not work, the room temperature was indicating 0.5 deg, when it was 18deg in reality. These cells are marked 1.5v but I measured the off-load terminal voltage at over 1.7v, I presume this is the cause of my problem. I have gone back to alkaline in the 'stat.

Any comments?

Reply to
Graham.

, not lithium ion.

My Petzl head torch (Tikka Plus) tells me not to use lithium AAAs in the instructions. There is some warning translated from French about dire consequences for the LEDs. Lasts ages on alkaline anyway. Does anyone have a better source of alkaline AAAs than 6 for =A31 at Poundland? Are most alkaline cells created equal? (I wouldn't bother with fakes from flea markets as they have the tell-tale at the negative terminal being the main case).

Reply to
Part timer

One reason why they have such a long shelf life is down to passivation of the anode, where on initial use the oxide layer first needs to be broken down through passing a current for a length of time. It could be that the internal impedance was sufficiently high not to operate the thermostat, yet likely to be low enough to be measure with a DVM.

Reply to
Fredxx

not lithium ion.

anode, where on initial use the oxide layer first

could be that the internal impedance was sufficiently

with a DVM.

I wonder if it would be worth burning them in for a while?

Reply to
Graham.

Yes, get a life!

Reply to
David Perry

No, even 7dayshop.com cannot beat that.

Reply to
Bruce

If you have, or know someone that has access to Costco, they do a 48 pack of AAA's for about £7 iirc. It's their own brand ones but they seem fine.

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

, not lithium ion.

I had some in a flashlight for 20+ years that still work, I lost the flashlight. 1.7v is odd, what temperature did you check them at.

Reply to
ransley

For a little more :

Bob Martin

true!) First time I'd bought anything there.

Reply to
Part timer

Kirkland (Costco's own brand) are quite good batteries

Reply to
geoff

I usually buy packs of 40 GP from CPC - pretty well always on offer in the leaflets.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Yes - boxes of the buggers in the office

I made an RS order today - they seem to have picked up the CPC "special offer today" offer after you complete your order except

8 Duracell AAA batteries for £4?

err ... no thanks

Reply to
geoff