Re: Hijack: .3utilities.com?

Thanks Mow, I do have IFrame set to prompt, but the only 'prompt' I received was the one to have my computer 'scanned'. (?) I was using Firefox at the time though, so perhaps this works differently to IE.
I'll remember to turn off Resident protection before installing the next lot of genuine Windows updates - of which the blog on your hosts-file.net link tells there are some big ones on the way.
I was more interested in getting another hosts file. Is the one that can be downloaded from hosts-file.net recommended, and is this or another you could recommend automatically updateable?
Thankyou, S
Thought this should be posted here after the recent thread on AV, as this is a scam anyone thinking of installing one needs to be aware of. It certainly could have caught me out if I had not known both my AV definitions and Windows Updates were recently updated.
Take care.
Spamlet wrote:

YW, Spamlet.
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
The above hosts file will work in FF and IE.
The issue with Spybot's Resident protection involves the updating of the Windows Update Agent, not with "normal" windows updates. The ActiveX components of the WUA may fail to register properly That would be either muweb.dll and/or wuwebv.dll, depending upon if the system is opted into Microsoft or Windows Update. The former is for MU, the latter for WU.
I've been using SeaMonkey, another Mozilla-based browser, but see no setting for IFrames.
MowGreen =============== *-343-* FDNY Never Forgotten =============== banthecheck.com "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

Very helpful. Thanks very much for all your help. I don't see anything about IFrames in Firefox either, but it does have quite a long list of sites where popups and images are blocked.
Spamlet wrote:

The NoScript add on can be installed to forbid IFRAMES for Untrusted Sites in Mozilla based browsers. Forbid IFRAMES is Enabled by Default when NoScipt is installed, The setting is on the Embeddings page of Options.
MowGreen =============== *-343-* FDNY Never Forgotten =============== banthecheck.com "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

Well thank you once again: this is going beyond the call of duty! That looks like quite a sophisticated add on: I'll give it a try - though I notice its own website appears to be encouraging a click and scan...
Cheers, S
On 09/08/2010 22:39, Spamlet wrote:

NoScript is one of the most widely used and trusted add-ons for Firefox. I've used it for years... along with AdBlock Plus and Flashblock all of which make browsing safer and faster by cutting out most of the crap.
--
David in Normandy. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr
Spamlet wrote:

YW, S. NoScript is Trustworthy. Pay no mind to the scan. Someone has to pay for NoScript's development.
After you've used NS for awhile you'll learn which domains can be allowed to run scripts and which ones to block *permanently*. I rarely mark sites as Trusted as even Trusted sites can contain malvertizing or malware linked IFrames.
MowGreen =============== *-343-* FDNY Never Forgotten =============== banthecheck.com "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

Thanks Mow, it will take a while to get used to all the options, but for now it seems enough to use the temporary options, as in most searches one only needs to glance at a site to see if it is likely to offer what one is seeking.
As for the host file, I think this has slowed things down a little but so far not enough to be inconvenient. With your help I feel that things should be safer now.
Cheers, S