RCBO v. mini-RCBO

I've just bought some miniature RCBOs to replace MCBs in my CU - the lighting circuits are on a 100mA RCD as is a spur to a socket in the loft(!).

In a c. 1990 CU there isn't space for full-size RCBOs whereas the minis will fit. What I can't find out is if there's any disadvantage to a mini over a full-sized one. So far as I can see there are some advantages: tend to be cheaper fit in the CU effectively double pole don't need to be disconnected when running tests

What am I missing on this? What's the point of big RCBOs?

Reply to
PeterC

I think the first generation RCBOs were taller, then they managed to shrink them to MCB size in second generation, so I don't think there's any 'point' as such to the tall ones.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The small ones often do not have the functional earth fly lead.

Reply to
ARW

Looking at the manufacturer's site for Wylex and Crabtree, neither do the big ones. The full-size ones mention disconnection before testing the circuit; the miniature ones don't.

Reply to
PeterC

No RCD/RCBO has a 'functional earth fly lead'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The white lead here ...

Andy Burns

...is not part of the trip function. No idea what its for, perhaps to earth something in the switch...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It allows the RCBO to continue working and detect a LE fault in the unlikely event of a missing/lost neutral.

RCD's do not have these fly leads.

And wankers oversleeve the flyleads with green/yellow. But then some RCBO manufactures have a flylead with a green/yellow cable.

Reply to
ARW

Zoom in ... it's shown as part of the circuitry measuring current differences

Andy Burns

It is - but it adds a capability that normal RCDs don't have.

It will allow it to trip in the unlikely event that you get a neutral disconnection. (which on a PME supply could leave all earthed metalwork in the house at mains voltage)

Reply to
John Rumm

Can that fly lead have a DIY equivalent wired into a mini-RCBO? I can't see from the image that Andy posted what it's connected to on the RCBO.

Reply to
PeterC

No. (It'd have to be connected internally to the imbalance detection circuit).

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Glad you came along Adam!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You haven't looked at the circuit diagram have you? Or thought about what you just said.

How is the current - the massive current - that should flow down the neutral going to get back to base if there is no neutral?

Down that poxy little wire to *earth*? What???? Earth is simply safety, it never passes significant current except under fault conditions. You cant operate *at all* without a neutral.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did and its clearly there to earth a bit of metal in there.

THINK. How COULD it be part of it. If it passes any current at all it is CREATING an earth fault.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I see - thanks.

Reply to
PeterC

All they have to do is draw the current for the electronics *before* the imbalance detector.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

WHAT electronics?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

THESE electronics ... the white earth flylead seems to connect to a pin on the balance transformer (whatever the correct term might be)

Andy Burns

no, it might only go to the other circuitry on the PCB, not to the windings ...

Reply to
Andy Burns