Fading barometer not DIY!

An old (70+ years) aneroid barometer in the hall is almost illegible now, as the printing has faded so much. Even if my also fading eyesight would allow, it's way beyond my ability to do anything (other that with a fine felt tip pen), so I was wondering if there's a restoration service available. I realise that it'd be expensive but possibly worth investigating.

Reply to
PeterC

Would depend on value as I think it would bevery expensive to restore. You could take an image of it and resore on photoshop and use that as an overlay whilst retaining the original. OR Check images on google and download similar to use as an overlay.

Reply to
ss

OR, take it to the Repair Shop. ;-)

(As featured in the TV series lest their be any confusion).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is this not a bit like the 70 year old broom only had 20 replacement heads and 12 handles? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

illegible

restore.

That was my thoughts as well, easy to do provided the scale is flat not dished. If it is flat taking it out and scanning would probably be better than trying to photograph. A camera would have to be very carefully aligned to avoid distortions. Might be easier to draw something directly on a computer.

An option but unless there is a very strong "human interest" aspect not likely to be succesful.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Agreed on the latter, a tragically killed/brave relative appears to be the current requirement.

Taking a tip from a recent show however (the mini bike refurb) it turns out that you can get printable water transfer paper which may work, generate image, print, float on and the slight deformation possible with a wet transfer could accomodate a slightly dished scale if required.

A search for 'water transfer printing paper' finds loads, likely at least partially translucent though so any residual image below may shine through if not perfectly aligned.

Reply to
Peter Burke

Just the same as all this sort of prog. To make it appeal to those who have little interest in seeing how the thing is repaired. And nice cheap TV - much easier to fill the time with someone talking than cover the actual work in detail. Same as many car or house restoration progs.

It did look interesting. But didn't show a close up of the finished thing.

I've had quite some success using the aluminium etching kit RS used to do. You started with thin self adhesive anodised ally sheet. Make a transparency on the computer with the artwork. Exposed and developed it with UV light. Small choice of colours, but for a dial black on a anodised ally (silver) background would be fine. It is quite a bit of work, but does produce superb results for those who don't have sign writing skills. And seems much longer lived than printing on paper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I think that this answers your suggestion and those below: I've let it go too far - it's getting difficult to discern so no chance of a scanner getting a good image without a lot of noise. Yes, it is probably far too expensive to have done, I guess. One of those superb artists that paints flowers and insects could do it - at a <cough>price! As for The Repair Shop, well, it belonged to my father who tragically died of cancer - 28 years ago! so not a current 'emotional crisis'.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually, looking on Ebay, I can get a replacement for around £10 - £25 and more attractive. Mine would be a couple of quid at a guess.

Reply to
PeterC

In general, half way or thereabouts along the zoom range, keep all of the image near the middle of the frame. Any small distortions correct in photoshop.

I can make templates that way that are far more accurate than I need.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Scan it, with the noise, use the scan as an underlay for a CAD program to print up a reconstruction...?

Here's a video of a scale made from scratch, just a snippet:

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Looking on Ebay, there are new scales for sale. Circular (mine's square), too big and the scale is about 1" out (I need 28" at 7:30 approx.) but the shop might do a one-off. I do like the banjo-style with termometer and hygrometer. Might have to find another place for it - most thermometers are red alcohol and red is rather enthusiastic at fading (lots of signs that have " PARKING" on them!).

Reply to
PeterC

PeterC wrote on 15/11/2020 :

It doesn't have to be current, just a good, emotional sob story.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Just make one up. I?m sure that?s what some of them do. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Damn you, Thomas Prufer! I haven't got 26 minutes of my life spare, to watch that! (... but I will... :-D 2 minutes was enough to hook me!)

Best wishes Another John

Reply to
Another John

:-)

I was directed to this channel by an article in the paper that said the channel was beloved by insomniacs, mothers nursing infants late at night, etc. Just silent working... hypnotic, eh?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Do you realise that there's an option to change the speed of youtube playback? I often set things like this to double speed and change to normal speed (or less) and replay the more interesting bits.

(... and yes, it's an excellent bit of workmanship. It makes me want to try metal spinning, but that spinning thin raw edge is a bit scary!

Reply to
nothanks

Absolutely, and (for once the word is appropriate): awesome.

Thanks again! It will get hammered, from this desktop, as the dark days draw in :-D

John

Reply to
Another John