Barometer. Never lie them down?

I just saw an "expert" on "Flog It tell a guy always to keep his barometer upright, an never ever lie it down.

This was an aneroid, not a mercury barometer by the way. Does the team agree that this "expert" deserves these inverted commas?

Reply to
Graham.

Maybe he has had problems in his past with Aneroids . Name and shame him . Was it Paul Martin ?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

As advice aimed at an audience that watches daytime TV, then it's not too bad. You don't want them spilling mercury, I doubt if many could spell aneroid let alone tell what sort of barometer they had.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm pretty sure it was James Lewis of Bamfords. He said that Mr Bamford had extensively researched barometers and the name on the back of this particular one was not on the list. though he was a known London clockmaker.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Is the mercury not sealed in? Is it not to prevent the mercury splitting with the problem of getting it all back together again?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Last time I looked closely at one, it was 'sealed' by what I assume was a small piece of animal skin, tied. The sort of seal that keeps dust out, not mercury in - I doubt it would have been strong enough to hold back the weight of the mercury when still, let alone when sloshing around.

Reply to
Rod

Or was it hemeroids, and he couldn't sit down? ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There are two problems transporting a typical mercury wheel barometer. If you don't tilt it at all the mercury bounces around, and will very easily punch the end out of the top of the tube, as it will if you lie it down too quickly. If you lay it flat, it dribbles out of the reservoir end of the tube. I always recline them, gently, until the mercury is firmly up to the top of the bulb, then plug the open end with either a cork or something similar, and carry them at an angle.

I would be very surprised if James Lewis didn't know this - I've been to many of his auctions, and he's always struck me as bright and knowledgeable. He's also an excellent auctioneer, who can push over 180 lots per hour through without appearing to hurry.

As Andy says - it's a lot less messy if you treat them all as mercury rather than all as aneroid.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

I think we are all afflicted with them at some time in our life.

8¬O

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Yep, they took mine out along with my tonsils when I was six ;-)

Don.

Reply to
Don

Strange place to have your tonsils ?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Sounds to me that this wasn't an aneroid instrument at all, it just looked like one. (the word means "dry") I hadn't heard of a mercury wheel barometer until you mentioned it. Can you point me to a diagram on how it works, I cant find one.

Reply to
Graham.

Engage brain how could air pressure shove down on the reservior pushing the column of mercury up the tube if it was sealed in...

Are you thinking thermometer not barometer? Thermometers are sealed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

NOSPAMnet

Reply to
Graham.

We have a wheel barometer and there's no seal on it.

When we moved house the removals company would not move the barometer - this was in their contract terms. I propped it up in my car and once moved I had to reset it as the weight was no longer sitting on the mercury.

We also have a modern aneroid barometer and an electronic one!

Guy

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson@SMTP - snipped-for-privacy@cuillin.org.uk // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4
Reply to
Guy Dawson

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Adenoids ?

Reply to
Don

Yeah .It would be unusual for a 6 year old to have the other sort of "oids" wouldn't it ..lol

Reply to
NOSPAMnet