Car radio switches on/off at random - possibly OT

If this is OT, does anyone know where I should post?

My car radio/cassette player has taken to switching itself on and off at random, even when stationary with the ignition turned off (this latter drains the battery). Since it doesn't lose the security code when it switches off, I feel that it cannot be losing connection to the battery. I have, of course, removed it from the car.

Has anybody seen this sort of behaviour, or have any good ideas. I'd be grateful.

GPG

Reply to
GPG

"GPG" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't even waste the time & effort on it. Just lob it and get a new one from one of the online suppliers - caraudiodirect or incarexpress or similar.

We chucked a new Sony radio/CD/iPod head unit in 'erselfs car last year for £80.

Reply to
Adrian

Until I read about it doing it when stationary I was going to suggest an ill fitting removeable faceplate if it had one .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Are there any wiring bodges?

A common wiring problem is the red (power) and yellow (standby power) wires shorting together, deliberately joined or transposed.

Reply to
dom

That may be easier said than done. Modern cars tend not to have standard euro sized radios but things shaped and sized to fit the dash, at least on the outside.

I'd look for an intermittent supply connection fed via the aux position of the ignition switch, (loose/corroded fuse). There is normally a separate supply to maintain the memory/code.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

" snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

ITYM "Memory" and "Ignition live"

Joined isn't a problem - you'll just have a head unit that can be used with the ignition off. Shorting together'd just get you a head unit that might sometimes stay on or come on when the ignition's off. Transposed will just give you a head unit that can be switched on when the ignition's off, but only keeps the memory when the ignition's on...

(Assuming, of course, there's no way for the ignition live to feed back into the rest of the car's electrics.)

Reply to
Adrian

"Dave Liquorice" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

...and cheap and easily available facia adaptors...

Reply to
Adrian

Never thought of that. Just what I need for my van. Do you have any recommended suppliers (I will also of course Google myself)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

your gonna be mighty pissed off when your new headunit displays the same symptons tho if the fault it the wiring in the car.

bit like saying put a new engine in the car when you have a blocked fuel filter :)

Reply to
gazz

It's not quite that simple. Many these days will work for a timed period with the ignition off - for when you leave a passenger in the car, etc. Mine does.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Only those I gave in the first reply... CarAudioDirect & InCarExpress.

Reply to
Adrian

"gazz" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which is most unlikely.

Reply to
Adrian

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Still that simple - a permanent live, and an ignition switched live.

Reply to
Adrian

Without the www. before them I missed them. Point taken and thankyou

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Any ideas on keeping the top display working, the one with the time, temperature and radio station with a new unit.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You can get display & wheel remote adaptors for many head units.

Reply to
Adrian

Don't spose you know where I can get a basic cheaap car radio, don't want CD, DVD, I Pod, just radio?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On my old Renault, removing the old radio just removed the radio station display. The time & temperature still displayed OK, and I just ignored using the stalk controls.

Reply to
Adrian C

One of these, perhaps?

"It works conventionally on the medium and light waves."

Reply to
Adrian C

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Do they still make 'em? When name-brand MP3/CD/tuners with RDS are less than £40, why bother?

Reply to
Adrian