RAM and MHZ

Thinking of buying an upgrade to laptop currently my laptop states 533 or 667 MHz, the one I am looking at is 800MHz. I am not bothered about increasing speed but will the laptop operate ok if I use 800MHz?
On 19/07/18 13:05, ss wrote:

should be OK but why waste money on fast RAM if the motherboard cant use the speed?
On 19/07/18 13:12, Tjoepstil wrote:

The slower may be unavailable - quite common.
On 19/07/18 13:13, Tim Watts wrote:

fair enough. That is a good answer.
Only if he wants to put more ram in, I took the two speeds to mean he has two existing sticks and has spare slots. Brian
--
----- --
On Thursday, 19 July 2018 13:05:34 UTC+1, ss wrote:

that sure is a slow lappie.
NT
On Thursday, 19 July 2018 13:05:34 UTC+1, ss wrote:

It might not be just the speed that is important coud be other things too. I'd use http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/memory enter details etc... if it's listed I'm not sure they have a section for jurassic laptops ;-)
On 19/07/2018 13:57, whisky-dave wrote:

It is actually a netbook, I only use on hols a couple of times year to access email and for storing pictures while on hols. I dont need speed just more storage for pics until I get home. The RAM in question doubles the capacity to a dare I say 2GB, it is cheap on ebay and will serve purpose.
ss wrote:

Are you sure that RAM is what you're short of then?
On Thursday, 19 July 2018 15:49:00 UTC+1, ss wrote:

For those purposes nowerdays I'd dump the laptop and get a decent sized smartphone or tablet.
On 19/07/2018 16:23, whisky-dave wrote:

Nope, wife got me a tablet a couple of years back and I sold it on ebay as was useless for my needs. Couldnt get photoshop on it and spreadsheets were too small to work on.
On Thursday, 19 July 2018 16:45:05 UTC+1, ss wrote:

smartphone or tablet.

You can get a verion of photoshop for ipad in fact they are releasing the w hole CC soon, as for too small surely that's just down to the size of the s creen.
A friend went down the route of buying a notebook, which he found too slow and kept crashing, so he brought a tablet (resistive touch screen), too man y problems took it back to argos under G and got a refund, in the end he br ought an ipad mini spending less than he did in total on the his notebook & netbook & tablet. We are both happy with his purchase as he no longer phones me asking why X /Y isn't working and can he bring it around for me to have a look at :-)
On 19/07/2018 13:05, ss wrote:

Sounds like DDR3 RAM, where 533 would be what was commonly called PC8500, and 666 would be PC10600. 800 is PC12800.
Faster will *usually* be ok in slower machines as long as you are not also swapping voltage (i.e. trying to use DDR3L or DDR3U in an old motherboard)
(you could try either the Crucial or Kingston memory configuration check pages - they will normally give a you a "guaranteed" match based on motherboard or laptop model number).
--
Cheers,

John.
Yes as long is its the same type of course. It has always been the same in computers mixed speeds of ram are OK it should just mean that that is the max speed its been certified for. However some motherboards are a bit finicky on which slots have matched sticks of ram in them. Brian
--
----- --
On 19/07/2018 13:05, ss wrote:

Personally I think you should concern yourself with other features, like the type of graphics chip used for external monitors.
This is sometimes different to the one used to drive the laptop screen.
On 19/07/2018 15:51, Andrew wrote:

It seems unlikely that his laptop has a readily upgradeable GPU (if it even has one). Swapping a HDD for a SSD and adding RAM are the most viable performance boosting upgrades for most laptops.

True... but?
--
Cheers,

John.

did you read what the OP had originally said
-
On 20/07/2018 17:06, Mark wrote:

I did, which made me wonder if you thought he was suggesting replacement of the laptop itself.
Since the subject of the post was about RAM and the clock speeds thereof, I read it to understand he was thinking of buying a RAM upgrade for his current laptop.
If that is the case, then you comment about GPUs etc does not really make any sense. However perhaps the OP could clarify?
--
Cheers,

John.

what I was getting at was the OP was asking about buying RAM in the expectation that it would give more ?storage space? for Photos but every comment has been about performance and you are also mistaking me for someone else as I have made no ?comment about GPUs etc?
-
On 21/07/2018 17:33, Mark wrote:

My reply was to Andrew, at a point in the thread where no mention of storage space had yet been made. I agree that does muddy the waters a little.

Apologies, that was Andrew
--
Cheers,

John.