rachet spanners

They look really neat.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

extremely

please, as

such a

They look like 'escapement' spanners to me - the might have some form of sprung escapement mechanism though....

BTW, please learn how to post URL's, there is no need to use redirects and there it's common decency to state if the target isn't a .html file.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I've never heard of an 'escapement spanner', neither have any of the tool suppliers I use, and neither has google. Might I suggest that it is a silly term invented by yourself, because you did not believe that a open ended ratchet spanner existed, and now that you have been shown one you are making yourself look rather foolish by still trying to deny their existence!

As far as I'm concerned (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this one) if the spanner has a device to allow it to freely turn in one direction, but grip in the other, then it is indeed a ratchet spanner, a ratchet being a device to allow movement in one direction, but not the other.

I am quite aware of how to post URL's, thank you.

Reply to
SimonJ

Jerry, _you_ clearly don't know what an "escapement" is.

Argue over when a ratchet is just a mere pawl by all means. But an escapement (from the French échappement) allows the controlled release of stored energy. Clocks have escapements, ratchet wrenches do not.

No doubt you can find a definition n Webster's that claims it's a fundamental part of a spanner, but then if you take an American's guidance on the English language then there's no helping you.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Look up "flare nut" spanners. It's a ring spanner with a gap in it. They're mainly used on pipe fittings and so the gap is big enough to allow a pipe through it, but not the whole nut. Very handy for use with soft (brass or aluminium) pipe unions as they're less likely to round the flats off than an open-ender.

There are also truly ratcheting pipe wrenches (for big pipes - a few inch diameter) where they dismantle into two halves for fitting onto the pipe or fitting, then two concentric rings ratchet over each other.

No doubt Jerry will soon deny the existence of split-race roller bearings too - they're for fitting over the centre of a shaft where you can't access the ends.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

round

onto the

No I won't, but then you are not talking about frigging ratcheting RING spanners you are talking about union spanners, pipe wrenches and split-race roller bearings - NOT ratcheting ring spanners.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

How come Grunff just said

"Yes, that's just like the ones I have. They do work, very well"

then?

They may not "contain" a ratchet mecahnism but as they form a ratchet themselves, in conjunction with the nut they must be considered ratcheting open ended spanners. No-one else appears to have ever seen any other sort.

( I thought I would take a look with a view to buying a spanner, the thread turned out to be more exciting than I expected :o) .)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Just for you:

Chris Bacon

Some good stuff on this thread and it has thrown up more choice, and confusion, on what is on the market. Crowfoot, adjusting smooth jaw ratchet spanners, open ended spanners (with ratchets), open ended spanners (without ratchets but is a sort of ratchet), ring spanners (with ratchets). Then there is that German FastRatch spanner, which looks the part, and I'm sure the price too.

Everyone I know who has bought ratchet spanners swears by them and doesn't know how they survived without them, and having used the odd one or two (borrowed) I am hooked. The pipe union spanners look good and I suppose they would be good for pipe compression fitting too (I never knew they existed). My curiosity is aroused, and I want to buy some of these spanners, but what type for what job, as I am now a little confused as what is the best spanners for what job. The smooth jaw adjusting look good, but are there any ratchet crowfoots that fit compression nuts? and compression nuts vary in size from make to make so a that means a collection of them. FAQ on this? A good power tool FAQ is there, so interesting, and useful tools like ratchet spanners maybe should be in there as well.

Reply to
timegoesby

Get hold of a paper Snap-on catalogue. If it exists, they probably make one.

There are such things, although they're more of an oval with flattened sides. Can't remember the name but they're a proprietary US design for refrigeration plumbing.

Generally "flare" wrenches are for small pipes, like vehicle brake and fuel pipe. If the pipe is the size of domestic water plumbing then there's not enough difference in pipe and fitting diameter to make it worthwhile and you can just use an open end.

Reply to
dingbat

Do you mean an open ended ratchet spanner? It is the ratchet aspect I am after. I haven't seen any large jawed ratchet open ended spanners around on the web from the links given on this thread.

Reply to
timegoesby

Erm, it makes me a twit because google or my tool suplier have not heard of escapement spanners? Not sure I see how you come to that conclusion, but never mind!

Feel free to provide a reference if you like.

No, a worn spanner would partly grip in either direction, which is a long way from freely turning in one direction, and gripping in the other.

I don't see anyone else objecting!

Reply to
SimonJ

Google only returns what it is fed, marketing people don't care if they are technically incorrect in there descriptions, as long as they are not found out... Think about it, Mr Drivel Mk2!

What for you still being in nappies?

one) if

direction,

spanner /

other.

Just proves who little you know, go and use some spanners in the real world, stop twiddling with then on your desk...

Your point being what?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I thought there was hope for Jerry after a few decent posts, but he clearly has regressed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well if you like, but what I was really meaning was can you provide a reference to these 'escapement' spanners?

How about

will there be any on there?

You silly little man, you don't have the slightest clue to my experience in using tools, and I'm not going to bother justifying myself to you. What I will admit to however in not having much experience with worn spanners, if mine ever approach being worn then they get binned.

My point being that it doesn't seem to be a problem then.

Reply to
SimonJ

It's not what they are called, it's how they work. You can call anything, well, anything - doesn't mean it's what you call it though!

ratchet

experience in

worn

More likely, they never get used, you stupid little boy...

My point being, would you post a link to a self executing .exe file without telling people?

Go and get a clue cretin, before you start spreading viruses.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well you would say that, seeing that this "simonJ" seems to be your alter-ego....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I like Simon.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I bet you do, he seems to believe all the marketing people tell him, just like you do!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

What marketing people are those?

Reply to