Quidco and Screwfix

Some kind soul mentioned QuidCo a while back.

Tried it today with Screwfix. I did get a 10% coupon, but I'm not sure the QuidCo tracking (for 6% extra cashback) worked.

Having read their FAQ, it looks hideously flakey and easily defeated by the same technology firefox uses to reduce pop ups, XSS attacks and all the other nasties.

I'm not *that* bothered (it was the 10% coupon code I was after) but when would I know if QuidCo had worked - nothing showing in my account yet, not even a hint of a transaction...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I've now pinned a message on my monitor " REMEMBER QUIDCO"

The current 10 % discount code ends on Sunday 19/10...Do they get replaced with new codes weekly or should I order before it expires just in case .?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

They recommend you use a different browser purely for your QuidCo account so pre-existing cookies don't screw up the referral. I've used SeaMonkey and all transactions have tracked (for Screwfix and everyone else). It does take a while to show up as tracked though --- usually appears the next day.

What's the 10% coupon code you mentioned? I've never seen that offered.

Reply to
mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

I've seen it get updated once in 2 weeks with a new coupon and a new end date, but I'm not sure if you can count on that or not...

It's also very confusing to use the code - you have to stick it in the "special instructions" box and you get no acknowledgement as to whether it worked. Very sloppy...

As to the QuidCo "extra cashback" - I don't know yet if that works at all :-|

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

mike coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ta - I'll look tomorrow.

It is mentioned (for me anyway) just before the clickthrough to screwfix. Mine was MF151008, expiry Sunday coming.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Mine's the same so looks like it's a general discount code ..same for everyone .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

I suspect you may find that you won't get the 6% quidco discount in addition to the 10% offer - I think you normally only get one 'deal'

Reply to
Lobster

the code on the 10% cupon i got in my email from screwfix is different to the one you get when you click thru quidco,

the 10% one is screwfixes, so i wouldent have though it's affect the quidco referal thingy that means they get paid for sending you to screwfix, and hence you get a cut.

Reply to
gazz

What a strange name. Is it associated with Poundland?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I realise that; but I still think it's likely that both discounts won't be applied. I've tried the same thing when going to other companies through quidco; occasionally the double-discount has worked but more often than not it hasn't. So all I was trying say was that if you don't get the 6% as well, don't just write off quidco as not worth bothering about in future.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster coughed up some electrons that declared:

Well, they did give me an upto date coupon code, which is what I actually wanted. I'm always doubtful about these money-goes-in-circles referral schemes (the economics seems just as bolloxed as futures, short selling and and all the other city scams that somehow appear to make (actually divert) money without actually producing a useful product or service.

So I don't really expect anything of them. Cynical - me?? ;->

Reply to
Tim S

nope, it's a web site referal scheme, i used to have similar with google adsense before they stopped the referal,

basicaly if you click a link from one website to another selling something, then buy something from that site, the site that you clicked from gets paid for the referal,

i only got one referal from my site where someone bought something, and earnt a tenner for it.

quidco just link all the major shopping sites that do referal payments from their site, and you get a percentage of the money they get for refering you when you buy something by clicking from the quidco site,

Reply to
gazz

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

Quick update:

Screwfix have dispatched my order and are showing 10% off, so I'm 50 quid better off, not to mention all the deals (probably about another 70 quid saved on those, but they ran out of one item) - so :-)))

Quidco doesn't show anything - so I think either the perceived wisdom that discounts don't compound *or* the cookie-tracking went to hell must be correct.

But I'm happy - I went in to get 10% off and I got 10% off.

I recommend keeping an eye on QuidCo - it may be that those discount coupons for Screwfix come up regularly.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S